A fresh start for a tired Blaster

JFortner5

Oct 26, 2012
Calera, AL
I picked up a non running Blaster from a buddy of mine that had too many projects. He bought it, kept it for a week or two and sold it to me.

The guy he bought it from had rebuilt the top end at some point, and while riding it, it locked up.

Anyway I got it home and took the top end off to survey the damage. The wrist pin bearing failed and dropped pieces down into the crank. A little chunk of the piston also broke off and went down in there. At that point I knew I had to split the cases so I pulled the engine.

I got the bottom end apart. The crank had a little damage and the rod had a tight spot in it when turning it. The fragments that got down in there got wedged between the case and crank and tore up the left case half.

I ordered a new crank, crank bearings and all bottom end seals. I got a few parts on the way from KOR. I've also bought some case halves from a member here. I've got a new forged Wiseco piston.

I rolled the quad out today to clean the frame up a little bit. I thought about stripping it and painting it, but I'm gonna hold off until I get the engine back together and running good.

Here is how it sits now, pretty much the same-

And lastly a pile of plastic I need to put the heat gun to and polish up a little.

I know this isn't as exciting as some of the other build threads. Truthfully I bought this thing to fix up and resell. I've never ridden a Blaster before so I don't really know what to expect. I'm going to keep it stock for now. If I end up liking it once it's rideable, I may hang on to it and do a few upgrades. The 300ex in the picture belongs to my father in law, but it stays at my house. I've got a good bit of seat time on it and enjoy riding it. Hopefully the Blaster will be fairly equal or better power wise. If so It will keep me happy. I'm about 6'1" 200lbs so the physical size of it is another concern.

We will see how it goes. I figured it start a build thread to document any progress made on this thing. It should be running in a couple weeks.

Thanks for looking,
Joey

I finally have a little update. I bought a set of engine cases from a member here. I've had a lot going on lately so progress has been slow. I finally got off my butt over the weekend and got the motor mostly assembled.

I am really thankful that Ken Oconnor posted all of the assembly videos to YouTube. I followed them and it really helped me.

Unfortunately I messed up the flywheel side crank seal but I should have a new one in a day or two. I got the top end on and everything else is ready to go. I'm anxious to hear this thing run I can't wait to ride it.

I did pick up a new toy last week-

It's a 2000 KDX200. We've got a big group ride this weekend if anyone is in the Birmingham area, PM me.

Dead kid on the ground? Zombie? or maybe she adding air holes in tire to make it get more air. Liking the build. :)