Picking up the new project tomorrow!

Haha. The kx is the lone ranger. Everything else is Yamaha. I would love to trade it for a YZ250, but I already rebuild the top end, bottom end, and suspention. Plus I've never seen a silver kx. That was the reason for the color choice.

So back on topic. I took the bike for a ride today. Starting getting a lot of white smoke. I could tell from the smell that it was gear oil. The motor did run good though. Either my repair wasn't worth a sh*t or I missed a hairline crack. Either way I need to come up with some cases. Jaysblaster is trying to hook me up with them. So it looks l will be breaking the motor down again. That just means I get to port the cylinder a little better. My 6 inch carbide bit should be here next week. I guess I'll do the timing mod too. Fun, fun, fun! Here is a pic.

IMG_20130111_134545.jpg

IMG_20130111_135355.jpg

I didn't leak test it yet. The bearings and seals are new. I'll put the tester on it when I take the motor out again. I want to do a better port job on it anyway. I didn't have a long enough carbide bit. Good advice. Thanks.

I didn't leak test it yet. The bearings and seals are new. I'll put the tester on it when I take the motor out again. I want to do a better port job on it anyway. I didn't have a long enough carbide bit. Good advice. Thanks.

You ran a rebuild motor without leak testing it? For shame! hahaha
Clutch side crank seals are a PITA to get fully sealed. Took me three tries!

Reactions: Wifesblaster
It wasn't smoking during heat cycles. I should have tested it first. How do I get it to seal?

Wasn't smoking blue? Depends what oil you were using, some just don't smoke all that blue. Give her a good o'l leak test though. The main cause for burning tranny oil is that seal. Only way to get it to seal is to put a little lube/grease around the outside and inside of the seal, and press/tap it in really straight and carefully. You can leak test the motor with the whole clutch cover and clutch off so you can watch the seal.
Thanks for the green!

Well it had it normal 2 stroke smoke during heat cycles. Then it started smoking white today. It was a brand new seal with synthetic grease on inside and outside. I installed it carefully with a socket. I have install them before. I'll let the leak tester e the taddle tail. I'll post results wen I get them. Thanks!

Going to do the leak test tomorrow. What size fitting do I use for a stock carb? My tester as an 1 1/4 for my 35mm carb. I guess it would be a 1 inch fitting?