New to the forum and quads

P5ych0

Mar 6, 2020
Hey guys, I'm new to the forum and quads. I recently picked up this 1988 Yamaha blaster from my neighbor with a seized engine. I've already ordered a new ignition switch since the previous owner didn't have the keys as well as a new piston, cylinder, cover, carb, and filter. I plan to dive into this build sometime this next week but would like some input on what I should do or be aware of other than the typical flip the front wheels and oil injection block off. I am a decent mechanic as I used to work for Dodge as well as at a diesel shop and do all my own stunts lol. Honestly though, I know my way around most vehicles but like I said before, this is my first quad I've messed with.

Attachments

• 20200217_174642.jpg
    20200217_174642.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 260
Reactions: Slydog
Hey guys, I'm new to the forum and quads. I recently picked up this 1988 Yamaha blaster from my neighbor with a seized engine. I've already ordered a new ignition switch since the previous owner didn't have the keys as well as a new piston, cylinder, cover, carb, and filter. I plan to dive into this build sometime this next week but would like some input on what I should do or be aware of other than the typical flip the front wheels and oil injection block off. I am a decent mechanic as I used to work for Dodge as well as at a diesel shop and do all my own stunts lol. Honestly though, I know my way around most vehicles but like I said before, this is my first quad I've messed with.
Welcome to the forum.sound like you bought a Chinese cylinder and carb? If so i would get your money back.they are junk right out of the box. I would highly recommend boring oem cylinder and rebuilding oem carb.

First thing is buy Clymers repair manual, then power wash everything.
Then leak down test
NEVER put a new piston in a worn out hole.
Quality parts ONLY
Buy once, cry once.

Reactions: Slydog
Welp, it looks like I'm going to be buying a whole engine. I've got stale fuel in the crankcase and the cylinder is marred up past honing and nobody around me can bore a cylinder that small. anyone got a line on a good running setup that's not going to cost more than a couple hundred bucks? I'm not trying to dump too much into this thing.

Welp, it looks like I'm going to be buying a whole engine. I've got stale fuel in the crankcase and the cylinder is marred up past honing and nobody around me can bore a cylinder that small. anyone got a line on a good running setup that's not going to cost more than a couple hundred bucks? I'm not trying to dump too much into this thing.
The crankcase is separate from tranny. Carburetor probably flooded crank case. Suck or dry out fuel with cylinder off you will notice a small hole on each side of case. At each end of crankshaft.those oil crank bearings. Put alittle 2stroke oil on each hole to lube bearings also big end on connecting rod . crank should turn smoothly

You can send cylinder out to get bored.

Nobody close can bore it and the only place in Texas I found that can will be almost $300 for shipping and the work. Not really feasible to spend that much and still have to drop $150+ on a new weisco piston.

Nobody close can bore it and the only place in Texas I found that can will be almost $300 for shipping and the work. Not really feasible to spend that much and still have to drop $150+ on a new weisco piston.
300 without the piston sounds really high. Everything things bigger in Texas:D. A bore is ussualy 70 80 dollars

300 without the piston sounds really high. Everything things bigger in Texas:D. A bore is ussualy 70 80 dollars

Hopefully they give you a blowup dounut for that much $. Your only boring 1 hole

I'm going to try and find someone closer that I can drop it off with but so far no luck. I don't want to spend an arm and a leg just to ship something off and have to guess on piston size.

I'm going to try and find someone closer that I can drop it off with but so far no luck. I don't want to spend an arm and a leg just to ship something off and have to guess on piston size.
The machine shop will usually get you the piston. When they examine and measure the bore