open my top end and look what i found

Dan151

Jan 1, 2008
mass
bought it from a kid who thought the top was seized, kick start wouldn't turn over, still shifts through all 6 gears.

when the top end easily slid off i knew at that point that it was only going to get worse, piston skirt on the intake side cracked and dropped into the tranny. the crank can only move about a half an inch forward:(

im going to have to slit the cases correct? and it seems like at this point a new piston, rings, a good honing or mabe a bore job, and possibly a new crank and bearings is in order?

check out the pictures

yamahablasterproblem006.jpg

yamahablasterproblem005.jpg

yamahablasterproblem004.jpg

yamahablasterproblem003.jpg

yamahablasterproblem002.jpg

yeahh i will definitely split the cases im going to take a look and see if it is the stock bore and piston still because the previous owner mentioned it was rebuilt before

yeahh i will definitely split the cases im going to take a look and see if it is the stock bore and piston still because the previous owner mentioned it was rebuilt before

Yeah for sure check and see what the bore is... When I bought mine it was supost to be bored .40 but come to fund out it was stock bore. Most ppl don't know what they are talking about when it comes to stuff like that.

the kid told me "it was 2 or 3 over" which i have no clue what it means and the piston is so beat up i cant see any visible marks as to what the bore is. i think i may just buy a new cylinder that im sure what the bore is.

mmmm.....took the bottom end out of the bike today and there is a nice hefty hole in the bottom between the cases....sh*t lol

i found an 06' transmission locally and he said i could take it for 75 with the stator, clutch, and flywheel

and there is also a complete motor locally for sale, still waiting for him to respond.

if the motor is in good shape ill just pick it up, if not ill get the 06' tranny and put my top end on it

dude if that stator with the tranny works perfectly get that and then resell the stator if you dont need it thats a pretty expensive part

you cant hone a deep scratch out, then you have no idea which piston to roll with, sure you can have it mic'ed but what are the odds you got it within the range needed for a factory made piston?
and custom pistons are outrageous! i saw one go for $300 the other day.
a new sleeve is always the best answer, stock bore is always safest.
if you do bore, keep it under .70 till the next sleeve if you really wanna be safe.
also, just buy a new case or instead of replacing the entire bottom end.
buy used, a used crank should go for cheap, i got my welded banshee crank for $100.

you cant hone a deep scratch out, then you have no idea which piston to roll with, sure you can have it mic'ed but what are the odds you got it within the range needed for a factory made piston?
and custom pistons are outrageous! i saw one go for $300 the other day.
a new sleeve is always the best answer, stock bore is always safest.
if you do bore, keep it under .70 till the next sleeve if you really wanna be safe.
also, just buy a new case or instead of replacing the entire bottom end.
buy used, a used crank should go for cheap, i got my welded banshee crank for $100.

might aswell get the whole bottom end for such a good price and ill sell the stuff i don't needI:I

it sounds a new sleeve is the way to go, how much would it cost to have the cylinder sleeved for the stock bore? and where could i have it done?

what about the cylinder head, it seems like it had a lot of scratches, what should i do about those?

just take your cylinder to a shop and have them measure it. Find out where its at and go from there. You probably won't need to resleeve the cylinder, just bore it to the next size.

just take your cylinder to a shop and have them measure it. Find out where its at and go from there. You probably won't need to resleeve the cylinder, just bore it to the next size.

what about the cylinder head, it is pretty scratched up, do i need to get it milled?

im going to pick up that 06' tranny and have my cylinder bored out and grab a new piston and rings to match the bore and a new top end gasket set, wrist pin, circlip, and bearing if it needs it.

going to be one fresh motorI:I

Cylinder doesn't look too scratched in the pics...although it may be different in person.

From the pics, the head looks fine. Milling it will just bring it down closer to the piston and bump up the compression. As long as there aren't any big gouges (which I don't see in the pics) it should be fine.

Cylinder doesn't look too scratched in the pics...although it may be different in person.

From the pics, the head looks fine. Milling it will just bring it down closer to the piston and bump up the compression. As long as there aren't any big gouges (which I don't see in the pics) it should be fine.

yeah the head should be fine then.

you may want to take a fine piece of sandpaper and go over the head, if there is a little chunk of metal hangin down it will create a hot spot which causes detonation. it doesn't look to bad tho.

you may want to take a fine piece of sandpaper and go over the head, if there is a little chunk of metal hangin down it will create a hot spot which causes detonation. it doesn't look to bad tho.

thanks for the tip! ill make sure to really inspect the head before i get things back together

going to pick up the tranny tomorrow morning and im going to send the cylinder out to be bored to the next size up

ya, if you can get away with anything under .80 over to get the scratches, your alright, but after you get to .90 over, its not near as safe as stock bore, so about then is the time to sleeve