Best top end kit??

Nick Migues

Jan 15, 2021
Alright, so I need to rebuild my top end on a 98 Blaster. Right now its totally stock, but I took the engine apart to fix an air leak and noticed the cylinder and piston were both pretty thrashed, but I was in a hurry as I was trying to get it ready to go ride and threw it together. I got it running today (no longer in said thrash to ride), rode it around the block a few times and it ripped. But after 5-6 times it started smoking pretty bad, coated the pipe in oil and was getting a little lazy which I figure is probably the spark plug getting wet, so I figure its probably best to just replace the top end. So, whats the best kit without spending a crazy amount? I've thought about just getting a little bit bigger piston and boring the cylinder, infact I have a piston from another engine thats good thats about .030 over iirc, but since everything else is stock wanted to see if there was any good quality kits with a cylinder/piston etc etc, but all I see is eBay listings and of course the Vitos big bore, and I am a little weary of discounted eBay parts, so I thought I would get some opinions/recommendations. Worse comes to worse and Ill get some fresh rings for my piston I already have and get my cylinder bored. Thanks everyone!

Best thing to do is to use an oem cylinder, They will have y-1 or y-2 on the intake/reed cage and have it fitted for a new piston by a machine shop, have it bored, honed, chamfer etc and use oem gaskets, some of the aftermarket gaskets such as cometic and tusk are decent quality, oem is best, always leak down test to be sure, proper break in with heat cycles and etc, Plug chop to confirm jetting, Most of the ebay cylinders will all be china, the china pistons bearings gaskets and seals are all junk

Reactions: piezzi
X-2 on rebuilding OEM parts!
DO NOT put a new piston in a worn out hole.
Don’t waste money on just new rings. Excess wear on piston (piston slap) will cause the skirt to break and likely to destroy the whole engine.

The piston MUST be on hand so it can be bored to fit THAT Piston

Reactions: blasterBruce