My 90 Blaster Rebuild ( First Ever!)

Nah she doesnt want the blaster.. i just bought her a 1987 polaris trailboss 2 stroke 250cc utility style atv... its pretty mint shape.. i fixed a couple things.. got electric start working good..and headlight, then installed a 2,000lb winch on it for around the farm...

I used to ride my dirtbike and she would ride the atv.. but dirtbikes cant drive on the road here like atvs can... so i traded the sh*t china bike for this blaster..and now im rebuilding this thing for me to ride.. even tho its gonna be small since im 6'1 and 220lbs..

I assume though that once its rebuilt and i ride it around a bit... ill end up wanting a bigger better quad for myself..and she will end up on the blaster...

And im 26 years old... so i dont need to trade the blaster to get a piece from my girlfriend... LOL... and if she was like that.. it wouldnt be a 1990 atv she'd want..

It would be a house, or something in the six figure area... FML

do the cop theme, have a siren on it too. get "to enslave and punish" on the sides of the rear fender. get a local that says leines county sheriff or something like that.

that would be great for like silver lake. wear a cop outfit then pull people over and f*ck with them.

lmfao.... the cops up here dont normally pull people over on atvs... but that forsure would end up getting me pulled over if i drove a cop blaster....

LMFAO... do a little super troopers style pull overs on the quad... LOL

lmfao.... the cops up here dont normally pull people over on atvs... but that forsure would end up getting me pulled over if i drove a cop blaster....

LMFAO... do a little super troopers style pull overs on the quad... LOL

lol
you know how fast you were going?
55?
oh, isn't the speed limit 55?
yes it is.

lol

or you stop laughing right meow.

Well ive found a place that will sandblast the frame etc that i have.. i went back out and took a second look at the a-arms i have... the ball joints seem stiff.. but the rubber covers are messed.. the threads arent as bad as i thought, but the nuts are sh*tted for sure... i might try to make these work for now.. im going to go look at a pair of a-arm in town here..they want $50 for the pair.. if they are much better then mine.. ill get those ones...if not.. ill wait and keep looking for something aftermarket....

So now my question... what should i be getting sandblasted to repaint.... the frame, and a-arms... the swing arm as well i assume?? maybe the steering rack to repaint it black again? i seen a blaster where the rear axle looked painted as well..

Thoughts and/or suggestions???

Cheers

it all comes down to preference. if i were going to get stuff sandblasted i would do my frame, and a arms. and paint everything candy red. but its up to you

what you mean by pc the a-arms???
Im thinking frame a-arms and swing arm.. just gotta get the damn rear axle apart..

Cheers

oh ok... powdercoating is out of the picture right now anyway.. id rather save the cash and buy some aftermarket a-arms anyway..

cheers

ya PC = powdercoat
also i dont think you will be able to blast the stock arms too. the sand might rip the boots.

so what is the other option beyond sandblasting.. should i be getting a electric hand sander.. or a small grinder and do it that way.... what kinda grit sandpaper should i be using.. i might just do the whole frame if i can use a powertool like grinder to do it..

Cheers

You can get it bead blasted or soda blasted that won't hurt anything, I just scuffed mine up and painted them with Rustloeum, sure there gonna get banged up anyhow.

kinda what i was thinking... but this one has a few coats of paint on it already... so i kinda wanted to strip it down to metal before i painted it.. also was on the hunt for the vin number since its not there...
Cheers

Well sheeblast I took your advice.. i went to home depot and got a 2" and 3" wire wheel to put on the drill..and i went to stripping down the paint... i found the VIN there finally... and it matches the sticker i have on the frame.... ive been going at it pretty hard... the wire wheels are on their last turns.. i got another on the way.. when im done stripping.. ill take a pic.. its coming up very shiny in some parts... then its a TSP bath tonight i hope... then i got some rattle can red primer to hit it with tomorrow i hope... Im just going to paint it with rustoleum key lime and all black plastics i think... i might do the a-arms black and the foot pegs and steering stem....

thoughts..

Pics to come later tonight or tomorrow

Well im having problems uploading pics to photobucket.. but i have been taking them to upload... today i got the last of the paint stripped from the frame... gave it a bath with some TSP... then took it to the car wash to give it a pressure washer rinse.... i let her bake in the sun.. then hung her in the garage tent from the top.. and painted it down... two coats of red primer soo far.. ill let her bake the rest of the day out in the tent and pick it up again tomorrow..

Should i be giving it another coat of primer.. there are a couple small runs.. should i be sanding..them giving another coat... or just sand and continue to paint....
or just continue to paint as is??

Ill post pictures as soon as photobucket stops playing games with me..

Reactions: scotj77
try tinypics.com it always works for me. here's some rep for all your hard work. i put like 3 coats of clear to help protect all my paint. it lasts alittle longer that way