My 90 Blaster Rebuild ( First Ever!)

definitely know the feeling, and you'll have basically a fresh wheeler by the time you're done. you can usually get a arms for pretty cheap on here or ebay

ok so im going to start to prep the frame etc for paint.... correct me if im wrong and maybe if someone could fill in some blanks..

1) clean everything really good ( soap/water or some sort of chemicals? )
2) wet sand the piss outta the frame ( what grit?)
3) let it dry and hit it with a primer ( krylon maybe? or something else)
4) let that dry and hit it with a few coats of color ( krylon again i assume)
5) dry..then wet sand again and then hit with last coat of color
6) dry then hit with clear coat getting all the places where it rubs the most)
7) dry then wet sand it a little... then more clear coat??

would i be smart to put some sort of grip tape or something on the spots where my legs will rub the most or just put extra clear..and if the clear starts to come away... add more clear coat??

Thanks for following my build guys... helps to have some people to bounce stuff off of..

Cheers

ok so im going to start to prep the frame etc for paint.... correct me if im wrong and maybe if someone could fill in some blanks..

1) clean everything really good ( soap/water or some sort of chemicals? )
2) wet sand the piss outta the frame ( what grit?)
3) let it dry and hit it with a primer ( krylon maybe? or something else)
4) let that dry and hit it with a few coats of color ( krylon again i assume)
5) dry..then wet sand again and then hit with last coat of color
6) dry then hit with clear coat getting all the places where it rubs the most)
7) dry then wet sand it a little... then more clear coat??

would i be smart to put some sort of grip tape or something on the spots where my legs will rub the most or just put extra clear..and if the clear starts to come away... add more clear coat??

Thanks for following my build guys... helps to have some people to bounce stuff off of..

Cheers

i would suggest blasting it. will be the best way to get all the rust off.
you can buy a cheap blasting kit and sand.

also dont use krylon paint as a primer or color.
if you can, use automotive paint and a paint gun for everything.
it will give the best finish and will last longer than the spray on crap.

ok i think my uncle has a sandblaster.. but i was hoping to do this stuff at home.. ill have to see if i have access to a paintgun and paintbooth... I was hoping to keep the costs down.. but if im paying someone to paint it.. i might as well just have it powdercoated for the extra... i was hoping for under $100 in spraycans and sand paper... LOL

even if i try to do a really good job with the shakers..... i have a friend who is a painter... he paints kitchens all day long..and i know his dad owns the shop.. but im not sure if he is equipped to do auto stuff as well.. now if im gonna pull a favour on him to paint this thing to continue to keep the costs down.. is there a brand of paint i should be asking if he can spray?? maybe i should be calling to see what it costs to get it powdercoated... i assume $2-300 for everything??

Cheers

you could sand it first then give ti a quick blast if needed. but any deep rust spots will not come out with sand paper.

if you are trying to save money, you can use rattle can, but dont use krylon for it.

use rustoleum. they make a good primer and color for uses like this.

also you shouldn't have to wet sand it after you paint it, do light coats and dont hold the nozzle down too long and always been moving the can. if you hold it down and dont move, you will get too much paint in one stop and it will run.

even if i try to do a really good job with the shakers..... i have a friend who is a painter... he paints kitchens all day long..and i know his dad owns the shop.. but im not sure if he is equipped to do auto stuff as well.. now if im gonna pull a favour on him to paint this thing to continue to keep the costs down.. is there a brand of paint i should be asking if he can spray?? maybe i should be calling to see what it costs to get it powdercoated... i assume $2-300 for everything??

Cheers

it cost me $500 for get a banshee frame and swinger prepped and powdercoated.

ok well powdercoating is out of the budget.... what type of automotive paint would my friend have to use to paint it at his work.. assuming he can paint it there??? im going to call my uncle when he gets off work..and see if he has sandblaster.. im pretty sure his is a small workbench style because he normally deals with smaller parts.. but ill see.

Thanks again.

i just get my automotive paint from my parts/paint store.
it has worked good in the past, not really sure what the name is.
but automotive paint in general is better than rattle can. it is better quality paint, it is applied better. you just need to have a clean gun and someone who knows what they are doing.

i wana spray my blasty but im afraid when im putting it back together ill do something rong i wanna spray it candy green so bad lol

thats actually what im leaning towards.. i was gonna do a black/orange KTM style color scheme since my mother works at the KTM/Can-am dealer... but after some thought.. i think im gonna do a lime green. or a darker candy green and black color combo and maybe buy one of those monster energy graphix kits and seat cover that ive seen more then a few people use.....
How hard can it be to get it back together if you took it apart... just remember what you did and dont do what i do.. and hit a few volcano bag or doobies while your tearing it apart..

dont do the monster theme, it is gay, overused and free advertisement for a crappy company. do something original.

I agree... but i couldnt find a redbull one.... i actually dont like monster at all... i drink redbull if im going to drink energy drinks...... It just is an easy all in one kit for a decent price on ebay.... i dunno... soo many color combo choices..and only one bike to paint...

i already have the black nose and gastank cover ordered off ebay... so beyond that im still very open to suggestions... im thinking mostly black tho..

dude, do a white and black theme and get red and blue headlights. i think you know where i am going with this lol.

if youre looking to paint your frame a cool red color, strip the paint, primer it, (light colors like grey or white, preferably white) a silver base coat, and use house of kolor kandy red rattle can. it looks real nice. i did a car like that a while back (but kandy blue) and it came out smooth as hell. then clear it a couple times. itll probably be around 30 bucks in paint and material. but it would be well worth it in the end

A Cop car theme blaster.... hmmmm i wasnt planning on putting any lights on the blaster since i dont do much night riding.. but the trail boss has lights.. so i guess it would be a good idea.....

Not sure how i feel about the cop car theme blaster... id rather do a nascar themed blaster.. but ive seen a few nascar quads done up....

My girlfriend says black with pink accents.. LOL

sounds like your girl wants the blaster, give it to here in exchange for something lol then get yourself a banshee or something.