sc0r1a

Jun 11, 2009
Ohio
What would you do?
My girlfriends Dad asked me if i wanted to trade my 93 zj lifted with big tires

IMG_0500-2.jpg

For his 1999 Dodge 1500, bone stock

IMAG0040.jpg

The zj has a 5.2 v8 204xxx miles runs great, the Dodge has a 5.9 v8 with 172xxx also runs great. Only things i dont like is its a Dodge but mainly is the long bed

I'm more of a Ford guy, my Dad has always had one. I would like to have a 12 valve tho

I would probably trade just because of how useful a 4WD extended cab pickup can be.

I have a '99 1500 with the 5.9 in it but it's a short bed with the regular cab. I sold my jeep cherokee when we got the dodge... so that should tell you something.

IMO if the Dodge would have had the 5.9 and some decent all-terrains on it would be an about even trade. I have nothing against Dodge. My parents both drive Dodge 1500's. As it is though. I would keep the Jeep.
Unless you need the bed space.

i own a 1500, i love it but ur jeep looks to be in better shape. u see that nice rust on the rams doors? its gonna get worse. they are known for rusting out if not taken care of, also auto trannys like to go out on dodges every 90K miles it seems. dont get me wrong i like these style trucks but i would not trade that jeep. figure 12mg outta the dodge...thats what we get on ours. im sure your jeep is getting more.

I'm not sure what kind of mileage my Jeep is getting.
The only plus to having a truck is the bed so i dont have to run down the road and grab a trailer when i want to ride. And i'll be able to take more quads when all my friends and i go out to ride

I'm not liking that rust that everybody else has noticed, either...Oldskool is right, it'll spread sooner or later.

I think the decision all really boils down to how bad you need the truck. If it were me contemplating the trade, I'd keep the Jeep and just use a trailer whenever you have to haul quads. You'll get 1 big quad + some gear in that truck bed, and that's about it. Plus, I'd personally want a Cummins lurking under that Dodge's hood before I'd trade a Jeep for it.

I do know from experience that we've had more than our fair share of transmission troubles with my boss' Dodge work truck. It is a '97 and has blown four trannys and a torque converter since it was bought new in 1997. The original engine is still running strong at around 240K, but that obviously does no good if the power can't make it to the rear wheels. Lol.

If you want a truck later, you can always get a Chevy!! :D

A magnum 5.2 V8 and 44R transmission in the jeep or a magnum 5.9 V8 and 47R transmission in the truck. Pratically the same thing...

What's known for going out on dodge transmissions is shift solenoids and pressure sensors. Rarely will the 47R transmission itself give trouble, a pressure sensor or shift solenoid fails first allowing the transmission and BCM to start acting CRAZY and eventually ends in the inability of the truck to move.

It all really comes down to how much you like your jeep compared to how much you can use the truck. Personally, I'd trade for the truck because I could put the truck to better use. A jeep, to me, is a minivan with bad gas mileage (and believe or not I like jeeps I just don't find them as useful as everyone supposes). I haul things with my truck all the time the old cherokee wouldn't think about like a 25 foot citation camper trailer and a 10 ton equipment trailer with a mini trackhoe on it.

i may be an all out ford man in and out, but i would trade the jeep to the truck. you can put the truck to better use imo. i have a 1988 mustang gt foxbody 5.0 V8 5 speed, a 1990 ford ranger custom 2.9 V6 4x4 automatic, and a 1997 jeep wrangler sport 2.5 I4 (4 cylinder) 4x4. but if it came down to which one i would really need to put to use, it'd be the ranger since it is a truck and i can haul stuff in it, even though i do love my mustang haha.

yeah i def wouldnt trade..your jeep looks beast and looks like fun to drive. i know i like my wrangler...if you gotta haul something get a trailer...