How To Change Transmission Oil

The ATV Dealers were closed so I couldnt get yamalube and I needed to change my tranny fluid. I put Lucas 10w30 synthetic motorcycle oil in it........It said it works great for wet clutchs. Should this be fine to leave in for a while?

someone please explain the sight-glass on the bottom. do you need to fill until the glass is filled or only till its 1/2 filled? thanks! getting ready to change tranny oil this weekend.

stryder i just got a 2004 yamaha blaster like 2 weeks ago and im not really sure where the thing is to check the transmission oil if u could tell me where it is that would be great and then where do u put the new tranny oil i know how to get the oil out but i dunno where 2 put it and i dont want 2 put in wrong spot.

On the top of the case there is a plug that unscrews on the right side, it may even say oil, i dont remember. It is the only plug that unscrews by hand on the top of the motor. That is were your tranny/crankcase oil goes. The only other oil you have, is the oil for the container under your seat which gets injected in the carb with your gas automatically, or if it has the oil block off kit, then you mix it with your gas instead of filling under the seat.

For the tranny, the plug top right of motor (by kick starter). Make sure you use wet clutch oil. Mentioned prevoiusly in the thread.

if filling a transmision from after a bottom end rebuild(so not 1 drip of oil in it) do i still go by the same amount they say?(i cant remeber off the top of my head) or is that measurement for when its already had some oil in it. because i can see oil sitting in there and not being drained out.

yeah any oil, aslong as it is ME, motocycle engine,regular oil has detergants in in and will do more harm than good, the viscosity is ur prefrance, i went with 10 40

I would say 10w-40 isn no good but the 75w-90 would be fine. 40 weight oil is really light. Your guy gave you sythetic grear oil,. that sounds better than using car engine oil.

he said he doesnt like giving anyone light oil because it heats up to quick so i thought this would be ok. you say semi sythetic would be ok. because once i put this is i had to put in a new clutch the new week but he blamed that on the clutch cable which i also put on. he said i put it on to tight and burnt out the clutch so i dont know what to believe if he give me the wrong oil or if i did put the cable on to tight

hes right, when the oil heats up its gets thing and does not lubricate as well. If you use a thinner oil like a 10w40 then when it heats up it will be even thinner. The gear oil i use is Bel Ray gear saver. Its a 80w oil. Transmisions and crank cases should use thick oil.

Also you could have shredded your clutch if you had the cable too tight.

aye i think it was because i had the cable to tight! got the quad back with the clutch and all fixed so its a great job now. he even fixed more things for me while i had it in for free so im nearly happy i wrecked my clutch

gld you got your quad fixed. its a good feeling when you can finally ride your quad without any problems. Now make sure you are using the right gear oil now!

yip, its a great feeling getting to ride it knowing there isnt anything wrong with it. Also when your only 15 its hard to pay for parts over here in the uk because they are so dear. i had to 60 pounds to put in a new clutch and thats only a standard one over here thats about 120 dollars to you i think. its not fair over here. and yes i got the right oil :)