Help engine sounds excessively noise

S

supra_race

I ran across a 01 blaster that has sat in a barn for years and never rode, i drained the tank and cleaned out the carb. My question is when the quad is ideling is sounds like its clattering when you rev it up to where it starts to smooth out it goes away. Am i hearing a rod knock ? mabey the pistion is touching the head? Btw when you ride it is runs fine just low speed reving its noise as hell.

if its the needle bearing how long would it keep running? The noise sound all up top around the head

if its the needle bearing how long would it keep running? The noise sound all up top around the head

Also there is something loose in the pipe, i took the pipe off and shook it and there is a piece of metal loose in it. I tried to shake it out but it wont come out.

thats no good there, if its your needle bearing, ide replace it before it comes apart and tears the hell out of your cylinder walls, also what you can do is take your stator cover off, and check your cranks bearings by kinda pulling up pushing donw on the flywheel, if there is any movement whatsoever, they have to be replaced, worn carnk bearings kan also make your piston rock

thats no good there, if its your needle bearing, ide replace it before it comes apart and tears the hell out of your cylinder walls, also what you can do is take your stator cover off, and check your cranks bearings by kinda pulling up pushing donw on the flywheel, if there is any movement whatsoever, they have to be replaced, worn carnk bearings kan also make your piston rock

Can you check for play in the rod bearing with the head off by pulling up and down on the rod? I am sure if take the head off i will see what the problem is rite? I have seen a few videos on youtube and i can kind of hear the same onise that mine makes in the videos.

its never been rebuilt... it still has the original tires that looked new but are dry rotten. I looked at the head and there has never been a bolt turned...

there is no bearing in your rod where it connects to the crank just the needle bearing your wrist pin goes though, 2 strokes do make a lot of residual engine noise, but ide still recommend a rebuild if its never had it

I am just hopeing that its not the crank How hard is it to replace the crank? Can this be turned is it has a flat spot?

my old quadracer made the same noise you describe then as the RPMS went up the noise went down, after i broke the cases i had it rebuilt while the engine was apart, i needed my crank trued, a bore/ new piston, needle bearings and crank bearings, after it was all back together, the noise was gone

there is no bearing in your rod where it connects to the crank just the needle bearing your wrist pin goes though, 2 strokes do make a lot of residual engine noise, but ide still recommend a rebuild if its never had it

Ok i will pull the head in a little while and post up what i see mabey you can help me out further...i will take pictures too.

With as little as its been rode what is the chance of the crank needle bearings beeing bad? Do the crank needle bearing get oiled from the oil in the gas or are the oiled through the gear box oil?

also the chances of them being bad arent too far fetched, even if its been ridden little, you never know how many times someone sat in nuetral and hog on it just to hear it run