Electronic Fuel Injection

TWal

Nov 24, 2013
Massachusetts
Hey everyone,

As I'm sure you ALL know, I've been working on building a Blaster entirely from scratch. SIDE NOTE: You can check it out http://www.blasterforum.com/full-rebuilds-128/twal-complete-blaster-rebuild-57667/. :)

ANYWAY, I recently stumbled upon the idea of two-stroke direct injection. As I don't currently have a carburetor for my Blaster, I became intrigued by the idea of building an EFI setup for my Blaster. Before I even consider putting this into fruition, I want to see if its actually been done before. Has it been done before? What do you guys know about EFI on two-strokes? How possible would it be to actually accomplish this?

I'm looking forward to hearing your replies!

Well, part of my buisness involves electronic/programming and design. I while back I was interested in designing a efi setup for the gy6 4 stroke motors ( just for the challange/fun)
All I can say is that it involve a lot of ti.e and dedication to get such a setup running, and running correctly. There are also many different options to choose, like how you want to map it? Pc interface(complicated) or reflash everytime you want to make changes, you could also have a few preset fuel and ingition maps. The options are endless. And it would be a fun project, but to find time for something like that now is my problem.
You will still need a carb of some sort, for the air control (throttle body), small injector, regulator, EFI pump, throttle position sensor or MAP (pressure sensor).
The bonus is, that adding a turbo would be easy, same for nitrous...

Alternatively, you could pick up an aftermarket ecu for not too much and just map it to suit.
A dyno will prove very handy in the mapping too.

Two stroke snowmobiles have had EFI for a long while. Could look into that as well.

yes its possible.

there was a thread about UAV drones switching to EFI motors, a lot of them were 2-strokes.

Its possible, but imo a waste of time and money.

Its very possible to make EFI work on a 2-stroke...Stihl, Inc already has two EFI 2-stroke concrete saws on the market. And these machines are handheld units! Completely self-contained system. Granted, Stihl is the largest manufacturer of machines like this in the world, and they have a huge R&D budget and staff to get the system working properly, but putting EFI to work on a 2-stroke is very possible.

This website has been around for awhile now and I've been tempted to look into setting up an EFI system on a Blaster engine, but its cost-prohibitive for me at the moment. Might want to check them out:

2-stroke Small Engine Fuel Injection Kits

As long as you can obtain and set up the necessary hardware, it'll be the tuning which takes the most time and patience. You'll need to have an idea where to go before getting started.