custom air box

mud runner

Jan 19, 2012
leabnon TN
ok iv started makeing a custom air box for my blasty ill have pics up maby sometime tonight or tomorrow but im gonna be running a spectra air filter with it and sorry for the crappy welds i just started welding today

again sorry for the crappy welds like i said i just started welding today and i know i still got alot more work to do befor its finished
picturedownload2013499_zps3fd06491.jpg

picturedownload2013502_zpsfb0ef0c1.jpg

picturedownload2013503_zps5b07b1fd.jpg
picturedownload2013501_zps56e6f7b3.jpg
picturedownload2013500_zps7714d6e6.jpg

A word of advice, the reason you have crappy welds is mainly because the areas you are welding are filthy.

You must prepare the parent metal to accept the new filler.

It must be all shight and briny before you start welding, no weld will stick to corrosion, grease or grime.

The welds you have done show no sign of penetration and are most likely to break with the slightest vibration.

Run a grinding disk over them and reweld, turn the heat up a little and push the handpiece rather than drag it.

The idea is to burn a little and fill the void with filler wire.

Lap welds are the most difficult weld to master, congratulations on giving it a go.

I recon you should get a little bit of green for your efforts!

Another reason for crappy welds may be where you are welding, you must weld where the air is still, any little breeze will disturb the gas shielded area around the weld pool.

If the wire that you are using is flux cored, even the draught of a fly flapping its wings is enough to disturb the gaseous shield.

A word of advice, the reason you have crappy welds is mainly because the areas you are welding are filthy.

You must prepare the parent metal to accept the new filler.

It must be all shight and briny before you start welding, no weld will stick to corrosion, grease or grime.

The welds you have done show no sign of penetration and are most likely to break with the slightest vibration.

Run a grinding disk over them and reweld, turn the heat up a little and push the handpiece rather than drag it.

The idea is to burn a little and fill the void with filler wire.

Lap welds are the most difficult weld to master, congratulations on giving it a go.

I recon you should get a little bit of green for your efforts!

i scrubed it with a wire brush for about 5 min and wiped it down with actone

Probably flap wheel or grinder would work better.
Also
NEVER
Use clorinated brake cleaner any where near where you are welding.
It gives off poisonous gas that WILL KILL you, or make you wish you were dead.

If you doubt this info, search it.

I didn't even use LMGTFY because this is serious $hit : Please read: The Dangers of Brake Cleaner.

It is the intense UV light that causes the chemical reaction, so even 20ft away might not be safe. I wouldn't even use a torch near it, and not just because of fire.

Blaaster has given great advice and yes I would suggest using a grinder. You can use a grinding disc if you use a certain finesse or a wire wheel to clean it down to bare metal. The cleaner it is the better. I took welding in tech school years ago, I'm not a pro but I've done some welding, mostly mig. I have a cheap fluxcore welder from either harbor freight or northern tool I can't remember, I'm thinking northern tool. It's the yellow northern industrial brand. Fluxcore does create more spatter than mig too, I've heard tricks of spraying it with cooking spray or something similar before welding and you can easily chip the spatter off. I've never done it personally. Get some scrap metal and just practice, mess around with the heat and wire speed, you will build a feel for the correct settings on different metal thickness. It should be a smooth consistent sizzling sound, I've heard it compared to bacon frying. You can watch some youtube videos and listen and see what techniques they use. Good luck.