clutch not engaging right

NJblaster94

Jan 12, 2012
NJ
I just rebuild my bottom end an reused the clutch plates.... I have the pushrod and ball bearing in and its adjusted correctly... when I pull the clutch in completely i can feel it isn't fully engaged.. and its hard to find neutral..

The basket was slightly grooved and plates were a little worn.

Could anything else be causing this?

I just rebuild my bottom end an reused the clutch plates.... I have the pushrod and ball bearing in and its adjusted correctly... when I pull the clutch in completely i can feel it isn't fully engaged.. and its hard to find neutral..

The basket was slightly grooved and plates were a little worn.

Could anything else be causing this?

Mis aligned pressure plate, however if you were able to do the internal adjustment correctly, that rules that out!

Oh, and when u pull the clutch it's releasing the plates, not engaging them. Or did you mean disengage?

Engaging... when I pull it in and put it in first it jumps... but I did adjust the lever a little but it still won't find neutral from a dead stop... and I can feel a slight pull when I click down into first with the clutch pulled in

i had the same problem i got a whole new clutch completly and all my problems went away and i also used gear saver oil and it worls awsome

Overfilling can cause clutch drag, also over pressurization of the gearcase which can result in expulsion of oil from the breather.

it sounds to me that u miss adjusted it i just had same prob but my prob was that i lost the ball witch is 3/16 and all i had was lil ball bearing witch 1 is 1/8 i put two together and made it 1/4 and have to adjust the rod that is threaded, out a bit u need to check all those rods for any type of damage and the alignment of preasure plate can be any ways as longs as u put plate fiber plate fiber EX. it doesnt matter how u put them wheather same direction or not, play with that adjustment if it jumps a lil mean its not engaging all the way try running that rod tighter in there buy about 3 threads or so.

I figured it out guys.... When putting the clutch basket on I forgot the spacer that goes on after the washer behind the clutch basket

it sounds to me that u miss adjusted it i just had same prob but my prob was that i lost the ball witch is 3/16 and all i had was lil ball bearing witch 1 is 1/8 i put two together and made it 1/4 and have to adjust the rod that is threaded, out a bit u need to check all those rods for any type of damage and the alignment of preasure plate can be any ways as longs as u put plate fiber plate fiber EX. it doesnt matter how u put them wheather same direction or not, play with that adjustment if it jumps a lil mean its not engaging all the way try running that rod tighter in there buy about 3 threads or so.

Putting 2 small balls in there is going to cause trouble.

Eventually the little one will ride under the larger one and jamb.

It could also damage the tunnel.

its not the ball bearing... its the washer behind the clutch basket.. theres a small washer that goes on first then the larger spacer then the clutch basket.

yeah you gotta have that spacer. without it it should have been contacting the balancer gear behind it. hope it didn't mess anything up