Clutch feels like it's in limbo.

bwilliamsky

Mar 22, 2019
The clutch lever has plenty of spring and snaps back like it should but the clutch, itself, doesn't really engage or disengage. It feels like... even though the lever is moving, the clutch isn't. It drags enough to stall the quad when I pop it in gear when I've got the lever squeezed but it doesn't grab fully when I release the lever. It has enough grab that it will pull the quad forward when I release the lever but it still slips like crazy. I can upshift through the gears and the quad will definitely accelerate, but if I lay on the throttle it'll slip. It has enough grab that I can kick it out sideways on gravel, if that's any indication... but, like I said, it doesn't fully disengage either. Will the lever fully squeezed, it'll stall the quad when I pop it into first if I don't give it some gas.

I'm going to change out the case oil to see what's going on in there, but these are symptoms I've just not seen before on a wet clutch. Thoughts?

I would pull it apart and inspect rod, ball, adjusting screw, and throw-out arm cable attaches to. Re-adjust to specs.
Do this before oil change.

so... I pulled it apart yesterday. The oil looked a little 'sheeny' but didn't have any particulate in it and felt clean. When I squeezed the clutch, all the plates except the one nearest the engine would slide out. I could use a flat screwdriver to pry them apart and they felt 'mucky'. Each one would separate with a snick sound. They slide back and forth smoothly, but it's definitely sticky in there. I raised the back wheels and tried turning them while in gear with the clutch engaged and disengaged.. It drug enough to spin the engine but I could make it slip if I held things in place... it doesn't fully grab, it doesn't fully release. So odd.
I do have a replacement clutch kit on the way and I picked up some 80w gear oil for reassembly.. I'll update tomorrow evening.

I use type "F: tranny fluid...(650ml, NO friction modifiers)
Page 19 in the manual says Yamalube (10w30)..... SAE 10w30.... type SE motor oil.
Type F works for me. As to engaging and disengaging........ ????

Damn... It.... You were right about the grooves in the fingers.
I was doing a good job filing them down smooth and then I hit the compression stroke while spinning the basket, so I got the bright idea to use a pry bar to spin the basket and I broke a finger off. *face palm

So now I'm shopping for a clutch basket.

Well snap.

Almost as bad as having parts in a pan under bench and find busted basket when you go to assemble.

Almost, indeed!! That's definitely frustrating!

I think I lucked out. A salvage yard 30 miles away has a basket in decent shape that he'll sell for relatively cheap (much cheaper than new).. so I'll have it back together next weekend after making the trip.