chain tightening????

dirtrider604

Nov 14, 2011
Fredericksburg, VA
i jut put on brand new primary drive sprockets and o-ring chain, but the chain is too loose. how do i tighten it? ive seen some stuff on here but i just wanted to see for myself. pics would be VERY VERY helpful...

also ive heard the term carrier used a lot. is that what holds the rear sprocket? or is it the thing between the sprocket and rear brake rotor? im very new to atvs so im not used to all this yet

let me get something straight... im still confuse to what the carrier actually is? is it what holds the sprocket? or is it the thing with the 2 bolts stickin out the back?

let me get something straight... im still confuse to what the carrier actually is? is it what holds the sprocket? or is it the thing with the 2 bolts stickin out the back?

Its the round tube looking thing that the axle goes threw and yes it has 2 bolts sticking out the back which are chain adjusters, but first you must loosen the carrier bolts which connect to the swingarm before you can use the chain adjusters properly.

IF when done if you still cant get enough slack out you might mave to remove a link, but make sure first. I normally keep about a half inch of up and down play in my chain.

just make sure you tighten the slack adjusters the same , so tighten them evenly so you dont have more tension on one side or the other , it needs to be even .

I trust that you changed the rear sprocket as well.

Putting a new chain on old sprockets is not a good idea, it will only take a few hours of riding to have the new chain stretched a much as the old one.

Not a good deal for your dollar in my opinion.

yeah. i changed both sprockets. i had never seen a chain stretched out so much. i could take a link and lift it about 1/4 inch off the rear sprocket but it would still be tight in between the sprockets. it was all rusty too. so i got a kit to replace everything.