burned up top end after 1 ride

Yamaha#13

Feb 16, 2012
Ridgecrest, CA
www.tagged.com
just burned up top end on bran new rebuild, vito +3 stroker, ported, hmf fatty pipe and silencer, 30 mm khien carb, got hot seized now no compression, could the jetting be cause, was running uni pod filter

Oh man, I hate hearing this. I feel sorry for you.
All that money, all that time.

When I first got on here I used to laugh at the constant chant: "Leak test, Plug chop", but I really get it now.
So many blow ups, and they could have been avoided with a $25 tester and $10 worth of plugs.
Saving that $35 is the worst decision you will ever make.

Yup, I did it too. Hey, I put new seals in, or I eyeballed them and they weren't that old. I was careful with the gaskets, whatever my excuses.
I was a good mechanic and got by, I knew about leak testing and did it when I had a problem with a hunting idle.
I did jetting by feel and peering down into the insulator. I was pretty good at it (I thought), but I did melt a couple pistons over the years.

Leak test, plug chop. That is the answer. $35 saves you HUNDREDS OF $$$.

Steve

just burned up top end on bran new rebuild, vito +3 stroker, ported, hmf fatty pipe and silencer, 30 mm khien carb, got hot seized now no compression, could the jetting be cause, was running uni pod filter

Possible causes:

Air leak.

Leaky header pipe.

Incorrect jetting.

Incorrect float height.

Incorrect break in proceedure.

Too short a warm up period.

Oil injection system not purged of air.

dial pressure gague 3 dollars advance auto, Schrader valve 3 dollars advance auto , rubber plug 3 dollars advance auto, PVC pipe and cap 3 dollars tractor supply. Drill and bits and Teflon tape. on hand. That's 12 dollars for a leak tester. Plugs are cheap 2.50 each?3 plugs max with all the info here to get you ballpark.
I get 20 bux to my calculations, not to be a jibber. But always leak test and plug chop.This sux man, I feel for ya.
I pray I don't eat my words when I do my top end and be in the same shoes ,but a seizure or a meltdown is from running lean.
I sat here reading for hours on end before doin my first mods. The day I got my blaster I was here reading and built my leak tester and tested it, and every weekend thereafter. I ride prolly 7- 10 hrs a week.
Every upgrade or mod or rebuild requires a plug chop and leak test and proper break in.
When you have it redone again do all these steps. don't get frustrated, these machines run for a long time after rebuild with proper maintenance. And are cheaper to rebuild than a 4 stroke. And much more fun to me. I am an 80's baby tho. 2 stroke 4 life.
If I could afford one I would ride an Rz500 but instead I ride a Suzuki GS1100. old skool baby.