2000 Blaster not running right

GearHead1662

Apr 19, 2021
Picked up a 2000 blaster recently. From what I understand the engine seized up and was rebuilt, allegedly bored over 30 and P&P. Afterwards the owner swapped to twist throttle and installed a Mikuni 26 606 carb. Ever since then it's not running quite right. There a lag when you snap the throttle sometimes and it loses power (bogs) at top end. As soon as I got it I changed the fuel, cleaned the strainer and made sure my air system is clean with a new filter. Put a new spark plug in and ran it. After running around the block a few times testing it the plug is tan and looks good. Was going to clean the carb and get new Reed valves but I'm new to small engines. Does this seem like a jetting issue even though the plug looks good?

There are 3 basic circuits
Idle/ pilot
Needle/needle jet /slide
Main jet
They all overlap each other some

If you can list your mods and what jets are in it now. it will be easier for someone to help you.

Only way to know if jetting is good is with a proper plug chop. What you did is not it.

What is your setup/mods? Be SPECIFIC from air box to exhaust tip.
What’s your jetting/carb settings?
Have you done a leak down test?

As said before I just bought the thing I'm unsure and I already stated the plug looks good. I know it had a mikuni vm26 606 carb and no air box lid with a uni air filter. Unsure about the reeds and a fmf exhaust. I'm going to get v force 4 reeds anyway.

What main jet is in it now.? And are you premixing? Or using the stock oil injection.
With that exhaust and lid off you should be in the 280-320 main jet range.

What main jet is in it now.? And are you premixing? Or using the stock oil injection.
With that exhaust and lid off you should be in the 280-320 main jet range.

I haven't taken the carb apart to be sure yet. I found the carb online and it looks like it comes with a 190 main and 22.5 Pilot. Not sure if those were changed out when it was installed or not. I'm premixing at 32:1.

Do you think I should get a larger carb when I get reeds? I see everyone running 30-34mm.
Red flag on those jet numbers.
Stock carb comes with a
32.5 pilot(stock)
230 main(stock)you need 280-320
Sounds like a Chinese knock off carb.they are setup way leaner than you need for your blaster. Even the needle is wrong.
Stock carb is fine. Unless you have heavy mods. Or are running a big bore kit

Red flag on those jet numbers.
Stock carb comes with a
32.5 pilot(stock)
230 main(stock)you need 280-320
Sounds like a Chinese knock off carb.they are setup way leaner than you need for your blaster. Even the needle is wrong.
Stock carb is fine. Unless you have heavy mods. Or are running a big bore kit
Yea I stopped running it until I got time to pull the car apart and see what's in it and it warms up start tuning it to warmer weather. It's not a Chinese carb. Every genuine Mikuni vm26-606 I find online says it comes with those jets. Not sure why. It may not even be accurate, like I said I have yet to see my jets for sure. Thankyou for all your help.