Best bang for the buck motor build

STRATTON

Feb 16, 2013
hey guys, let me firt off say, hello, i owned a really nice blaster close to a decade ago. Recently bought a super clean example, a 2002 blaster.

my old blaster was like a 96 or something like that. it ran very well, stock carb, vforce reeds, intake filter, fmf fatty pipe and that was really about it. it was a rip and i rode it alot, couldnt kill that thing, it just ran everyday with out a hitch.

heres what im looking from all you pros. ive very familiar with motors in general as ive built a few cars. Two strokes on the other hand i really havent built before.

the blaster i have now is completely stock. I want more power as everyone does.

what im looking for a super reliable set up, something with very sharp throttle response and nice power. im 220 pounds so im no light weight.

so basically with that being said whats a good option.

well start with bolt on parts first then get into internals. but some of the parts I will buy will depend on the type of internals i do.

here are the options ive come up with, obviously with reliability being of the utmost importance.

option 1

ken o'conner head mod
ken o'conner stock stroke and bore ported top end
vforce 4 reeds
stock carb ?
35mm kelihn pw carb ? or another recommendation
toomey b1 pipe
air filter

option 2
ken o'conner head mod
vito 240 top end kit ported by ken o'conner
35mm kelihn pw carb ? or another recommendation
vforce 4 reeds
toomey b1 pipe ? or another recommendation
air filter

i could opt for a stroker crank, but the quad is in perfect shape, so id be hesitant to pull apart a perfectly fine working bottom end for the sake of a few mm/few hp /hp that could be gotten from the top end. although if it does make a big diff in power, i would consider it, as the vitos 3mm or the hot rod 4mm crank is very cheap. so if its a good idea, its deff a vialble upgrade i would consider.

thanks guys. feel free to post any info or recommendations. for refrence, im 30 years old, ive owned 11sec/400whp plus street cars. not looking to break any records or smoke any banshees. just want a fairly quick quad i can take to the trails every now and then and maybe keep up with my brother in laws new honda 400ex (although it would be sweet if i could spank him haha.)

heres a pic of the newly aquired blaster. shes very clean, never really been riding, in my honest opinion its like it just rolled/wheeled out the show room floor. Came with the regi from the dealership when it was bought new in 2002.

16273_488835817842621_631611754_n.jpg

33956_489285717797631_1787709436_n.jpg

485117_489285701130966_1381090409_n.jpg

538252_489285844464285_934949337_n.jpg

stratton.

I'd go with a set of toomey's a 30mm or bigger 34mm or less and uni filter open air box and vf3's are more than suffecient if your cost conseious. and obviously jet approprietly

the way I feel about porting and stroking out a motor is only do it if it's blown up cause you gotta take it appart already to find out what's wrong. yea a stroked 3mm with toomey is sweet look up sound of freedom in pic/vids for pipes and stuff
keep us posted about watcha do sounds like it's gonna be fun
love those back rims btw

Welcome to the forum. I would go with the KOR head and trail porting along with the Toomey pipe. You can get away with the stock carb and performance reed peddles with trail porting. Throw yourself a UNI 2 stage air filter on it.

How much did you give for it? I:I

Obviously if you're talking 240 kit money isn't in equation much. Kinda agree with 51. I'd get it ported, maybe new rings on existing piston. Pipe, head mod, maybe 28mm carb, to much carb loses low end for more top end, ported reed cage w/ boysens or Vito's reeds . Depends on where/how you ride. When that wears out then do the 240.

OR sell the head,cly, piston/rings, crank (together) as a low hour unit (as you somewhat have proof of the fact), and put that towards the 240 with proper porting. At this point go big or stay on the porch, do either 3 or 4mm stroker, or even consider Ken's 6mm stroker, IF he's ready to produce them.:eek:

If you decide to sell top end/crank now , do a comp test and take pic of gage to help sale/value, jmo.:D

Thanks for the opinions guys.

I don't mind spending a little over g on the motor.

Just wanna spend money on the best parts available, with reliability in mind.

If I'm going threw the work of removing the top end I think a kor ported/head mod vitos 240 kit, carb, pipe and air filter is a cheap easy choice.

I'd reccon vforce 4 reeds would be the choice for this build.

So what would be the best pipe ? And what would be the best carb to use for said build.

Also anyone care to link me to the air filter kit that you all recommend ?

I also emailed kor, so hopefully hell have a solid opinion to give to me.

Looks like a healthy top end build is my choice. Easy, cheap and reliable.

Stratton.

welcome to BF stratton !

sounds like you've done your homework and are getting an A+ or your test :)

if you go with the KOR ported 240 kit, i'd recommend a 33/34/35mm keihin carb.

best.....
Keihin 35mm 35 mm PWK Airstriker Carb Carburetor Kit Blaster YFS200 YFS 200 | eBay

good...
ATV Dirt Bike 33mm 33 PWK Keihin Carburetor Carb | eBay

eehhh just ok, but what i use...
Honda ATC TRX 250R 34mm PJ Carb and Throttle Cable | eBay

you'll need a matching intake...
Yamaha 200 Blaster UPP Intake Manifold 34mm 35mm | eBay

if sticking with the stock airbox.......
Uni Foam Air Filter Yamaha Blaster YFS200 1988 2006 | eBay

or cfm box/uni pod filter.......
Yamaha Blaster Aluminum Air Box Airbox Intake CFM Performance | eBay

filter for /\
Uni Filter Pod Style Air Filter ID 2 1 2" OD 3? Length 4" | eBay

i'll be ordering the VF4's asap....
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEWEST-VERS...Parts_Accessories&hash=item2324df7fd9&vxp=mtr

for a pipe ...ask ken what he recommends for his ported 240's

Last edited by a moderator:
thank you very much for those links.

thats pretty much everything i needed to know in one post.

i dont really have many more questions beyond that.

ive seen some 400ex rear shocks for cheap on ebay, that will deff be something i look into down the road.

the oil injection system is still intact and working perfectly and i will not remove it.

do KOR head mod / ported vito 240 kits run fine on 93 oct gas ? dont really want the hassle of having to run race fuel etc. i know it really boils down to the compression. is the piston that comes with the vito 240 kit higher compression then the factory unit ? granted the KOR head mod should drop the compression a bit.

stratton.

yea they run pretty solid on pump gas from what i hear arround the cooler lol yea awk does that a lot he's had a couple of years of practice at adding to his wish list :)

ken can set that motor up to run whatever fuel you want, the piston adds zero to the compression, the compression can be raised to the limits of 93 octane pump fuel with the head mod.
i run my KOR motor safely @ around 165 psi. on 93 octane

Agian thanks for the links !

so heres the parts list

air striker carb
34-35mm intake
CFM intake and box
v4fs
vito's 240 kit, ported by KOR
not sure on pipe, lets see what KOR recommends, he said hes a big fan of the toomeys

got a question regarding the brakes. my blaster has the typical sh*tty rear brake, whats a easy fix for that as it is currently disconnected.

front brakes, seem like they need to be stronger, better shoes ? hydrolic upgrade ?

what do you guys do for the clutch ? with all this new power and me being at 220 im sure itll need to be upgraded.

wheel spacers, i would like to go as wide as possible with safety and reliability in mind. what is teh concensious on wheel spacers here ?

heres a lil vid of the blaster, just warmed her up, put some techtron in her so it can soak in the carbs.

https://www.facebook.com/richardhstratton#!/media/set/?set=vb.100001486220575&type=2

stratton.

Thats a nice clean blasty! i can answer your wheel spacer question- Ive ran spacers in races and never had a problem. I think they work great and add some stability. im actually selling a pair of g force front ones.. ppm me

Thats a nice clean blasty! i can answer your wheel spacer question- Ive ran spacers in races and never had a problem. I think they work great and add some stability. im actually selling a pair of g force front ones.. ppm me

thank you. what size ones ? got a pic or a link ? id prefer to buy a full set (all 4). i also plan on flipping the front wheels before i ride.

stratton.

got a question regarding the brakes. my blaster has the typical sh*tty rear brake, whats a easy fix for that as it is currently disconnected.

front brakes, seem like they need to be stronger, better shoes ? hydrolic upgrade ?

what do you guys do for the clutch ? with all this new power and me being at 220 im sure itll need to be upgraded.

rear hydros :)........
http://www.blasterforum.com/miscellaneous-parts-154/awk08-gsxr-brakes-43258/

front hydro's......
http://www.blasterforum.com/brakes-142/east-coast-atv-brake-kit-53929/#post674087

best clutch available IMO......
Yamaha Blaster 240 Heavy Duty Clutch Kit | eBay
(scroll down the ad and read the testing they've done)

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure where your planning on buying a intake from. But just a word of caution, do not buy one from the seller kandkscooters on ebay. I bought one, and he never sent, i had to open a case with ebay. Got my money back which was awesome, but mad he never shipped.

pretty nice dude

thank you I:I

like i said i havent ridden in at least 7ish years.

gotta go buy a helmet and some atv boots. theres a local motorcycle/quad shope not to far from me, gonna stop in one of these days.

awk thanks for the links for the brakes !

stratton.

hey guys !

Went to a local quad/dirtbike shop today. picked up some 2 stroke oil and 2 spark plugs. Ordered a new helmet, cant wait it looks bad ass, its flat black with no graphics or labels.

The owner seems real knowledgable, we spoke for a lil bit, they also have alot of stuff for blasters hanging up on the show room.

Came home, swapped in a new spark plug, put some techtron in the fuel for the hell of it, drained out the old two stroke oil and replaces it with some new stuff. Adjusted the front brake (took the slack out etc) and shes stoping so much better.

Shes running great now, ripped her around the block a few times, man how ive missed riding a atv. So happy that i chose to get back into riding, along with picking a blaster.

Next thing to deal with is real siezed brake. Ill take it apart, clean it up and grease it up for the time being until i decide to upgrade it.

Gonna go riding this sunday if my helmet comes in before the weekend.

Now that shes running good its time to start collecting some parts for the build. still not sure on the pipe. any recommendations for a ported 240 motor ? from the few posts ive read the toomey is to small or whatever, alot of people are recommending CT pipe, Powerpros pipe/Trinity pipe as they are suppose to be the same exact pipes.

stratton.

Dunno how you drained out the oil but did you bleed the system of air bubbles?

i popped the line off the oil resovoir.

no i didnt bleed out the line, didnt really think much air would get in that little line.

i started it up and let it idle for a good ten minutes before i rode it. rode it for about 10 mins if that total around the neighborhood, it was running great.

didnt think it would be much of a issue. but do tell about bleeding the air out of the system ?

stratton.