Air box mod

Whitty21

Apr 15, 2010
Small town, ON, Canada
I have an 05 blaster with a k&n air filter and i am looking at modding the airbox. I was thinkin about cuttin a 1.5-3" rectangular hole in the middle. However i do end up in some mud sometimes, would it be worth my while to find a sort of screen to glue over it? Does anyone believe it is better to drill 4 1.5" hole instead which i have heard?

Do u have the lid off. That is what most of us do. Also to tell u the truth lose the k&n and pick up a uni.

you can cut pretty much the entire center out of a lid and you can then get the outerwares material to cover it with. that would flow really close to no lid at all while providing a bit more protection

Remove the airbox lid! Get a Uni foam filter. I've heard K&N are not the best for quads. Foam is the way to go! If you look on ebay you can find airfilters that clamp right onto the carb. You can get rid of the airbox all together. I've been wanting to try this set up for a while.

I might try going to no air box at all. I take my kids blaster to the dunes all the time and noticed this last trip that a little bit of sand got past the air filter. That sealing surface on the stock box sucks.
I ditched my stock box on my Banshee when I first got it and did the Toomey 2:1 set up.
I would like something similar to that for the Blaster. Much better sealing by going right to the carb.

If you have a well oiled foam air filter and no airbox cover (nobody runs a cover on an airbox!!) you'll be fine unless you're taking your blaster regularly through water more than halfway up the tires......and even then, you'll probably be fine. If you're going for water/deep muddy stuff....then an airbox cover is good. Otherwise, the occasional small splash of muddy water that may make it's way under the seat and to the airbox, is going to be caught by the filter. Trusty me, I take my blaster through some nasty stuff with no airbox cover....no problems