airbox scoop "Ram air" mod

JohnnyBertone

Aug 6, 2015
i was told to remove the scoop snorkel thingy that comes off the top of my air filter box because it restricts so much air flow. i have removed the upward scoop and now it feels like at higher speeds the quad pulls harder and I'm thinking its because of more air being forced into the air box. has anyone ever done a ram air type of mod on top of just removing the snorkel bend? also i have a K&N Filter and instead of making a separate thread which I'm sure has already been created, which is better of a filter? K&N or a foam twinair type filter?

K&N flows a bit more air, foam will collect finer dust. You may be OK on jetting, a plug chop/read wouldn't hurt. Definitely would need jet change if you remove lid.

Any time the amount of air going in or out is changed you have to adjust jetting. This includes weather and elevation.

many people run with no air box lid at all. be sure to check your jetting though

if you want a huge boost of air, you run a CFM airbox like me and a few others. 2.5" pod filter straight to the carb.
cfm is mainly used when the stock air boot will not fit on a larger carb