89 rebuild

slickerthanyou

Dec 23, 2009
Well figured I'd start my thread- I have a few pics to put in and will update this as I get things done. First here is a pic of the before rebuild (-engine):

blaster-motor-008.jpg

Now no plastics-

blaster-motor-009.jpg

These are some of the goodies that Im putting in-

blaster-motor-011.jpg

Plans are to strip down and repaint the frame Silver, Get motor built up and put together for riding eventually- get new raptor plastics (black) . We will be putting on some pro tapers with a twist throttle set-up. Chain set-up is going to be 14/40 and stock size tires for now. Possible Monster graphics to follow. Love that black and green scheme.

Yes the '08 Raptor SE in the pics is my daughters, she is spoiled rotten!

welcome to the site. its nice your daughter can get in on the fun to. sounds like you got a good plan for the bike..

Thanks- I'm doing the engine work, My son will be doing everything else, It wont be no show bike but, it'll scream, (i hope)!

yeah the blaster will definatly take that little raptor especially if it sticks so close to my 400ex. there will definately be some sh*t talking in the family about whos is faster. i piss my dad off all the time by saying my blaster has more balls than his ex lmfao.

yeah the blaster will definatly take that little raptor especially if it sticks so close to my 400ex. there will definately be some sh*t talking in the family about whos is faster. i piss my dad off all the time by saying my blaster has more balls than his ex lmfao.

No offense but I would take a raptor 250 over a stock blaster any day. They ride so nice and smooth and the handling is great. I love em. There not too far behind a blaster.

No offense but I would take a raptor 250 over a stock blaster any day. They ride so nice and smooth and the handling is great. I love em. There not too far behind a blaster.

if its anything like a 250ex its slowwww. i just dont see a 250 quad being fast unless its a 2 stroke or a hybrid.

if its anything like a 250ex its slowwww. i just dont see a 250 quad being fast unless its a 2 stroke or a hybrid.

I wouldn't say it's slow, but won't beat my sons blaster. However the 250 engine is all stock cept for the exhaust and jetting.

Anyhow I have the engine this far apart- and ran into another problem, I tried to remove the seal keeper (or whatever it is called) on the crank but the screw was stripped from previously I tried easyout with no luck tried vice grips around the screw driver no luck had to drill the sucker out. Seems to be an aluminum screw. Any suggestion on where to get a new one at or is there a better replacement?

I also cannot remove the flywheel the threads are stripped! HELP!!

Reactions: yamaha28
I wouldn't say it's slow, but won't beat my sons blaster. However the 250 engine is all stock cept for the exhaust and jetting.

Anyhow I have the engine this far apart- and ran into another problem, I tried to remove the seal keeper (or whatever it is called) on the crank but the screw was stripped from previously I tried easyout with no luck tried vice grips around the screw driver no luck had to drill the sucker out. Seems to be an aluminum screw. Any suggestion on where to get a new one at or is there a better replacement?

I also cannot remove the flywheel the threads are stripped! HELP!!

For the seal retainer run a tap and use a hardware store bolt.
You might have to grind the head of the bolt down to clear the gears.

The flywheel is gonna be tricky.
Run a tap through 2 of the holes that run around the face of it and use a puller to get it off. Don't run your tap or thread your bolt deep enough to hit the magnets or electronics behind it.

Never bolt that flywheel on again :D

For the seal retainer run a tap and use a hardware store bolt.
You might have to grind the head of the bolt down to clear the gears.

The flywheel is gonna be tricky.
Run a tap through 2 of the holes that run around the face of it and use a puller to get it off. Don't run your tap or thread your bolt deep enough to hit the magnets or electronics behind it.

Never bolt that flywheel on again :D

For sure need a new flywheel. Damn, that wasn't in the budget.

I like the bolt idea, I was going to use my jaw pullers but i cant get two good bites on it with out comprimising the case so I will try the bolt idea- I now there isn't a lot of room to screw bolt in before you hit the magnets. If not I will do the wire through holes and see if that will work.

Well, I couldn't get that m'fn flywheel off neither could a buddy of mine, I had to cut the thing in half and finally success. I had the case sitting on a rag on the edge of the work bench , grabbed it and pulled- ya you know what happen then, it fell and cracked the flywheel side case. Ok after thrown a fit i grabbed a drink and said the hell with it.
also the piston pieces fell into the bottom and scored the case halves pretty bad.

So I'm looking for a complete good bottom end. Anyone have a spare good one for about $100ish shipped?

Also found a boysen rad valve that came with the blast. I guess that will be better than stock. Does that change the jetting also?

Last edited:
Some pics of the frame paint job. Rustoleum High Performance enamel color (7515 Aluminum) 1st coat. Final coat later this week. I am going to paint the shock springs Black if I can figure out how to get them off of the shock. The swing arm will be Black too all Rustoleum.
dsc01589.jpg

dsc01590.jpg

dsc01591.jpg

dsc01588.jpg

frame looks great so far man......did u have any luck with the cases or flywheel yet ?

Ya I got everything I need. Ended up buying a hole motor off a kid in town for $60! I have to put the bottom end all together I may try to install the crank myself but I really don't want to f this up but would like the experience. Then I need to send it all out to Ken-O and have it port and matched to the +3 crank. I just want to get all the little stuff done first while I'm savin for the port work. Here a few pics of the springs I painted green and the front hood went from red to black! I'm gonna do the sprocket Hub green and probably go with a moose sprocket 40T. Have to put the elctrical sh*t back on and get new front brake cables one is siezed up good. But little at a time. I hope I put that rear spring back on right it was a biotch to get back on. I almost killed myself with this sh*tty coil spring compressor I have not good for these little ones! Mofo flew off took out my shop lite and put a nice dent in the cabinet!

dsc01597.jpg

dsc01598.jpg

dsc01599.jpg

Finished the sprocket paint and the skid plate welding-

dsc01600.jpg

dsc01602.jpg

dsc01601.jpg

Thank Ya!:D

Last edited:
Ya I got everything I need. Ended up buying a hole motor off a kid in town for $60! I have to put the bottom end all together I may try to install the crank myself but I really don't want to f this up but would like the experience. Then I need to send it all out to Ken-O and have it port and matched to the +3 crank. I just want to get all the little stuff done first while I'm savin for the port work. Here a few pics of the springs I painted green and the front hood went from red to black! I'm gonna do the sprocket Hub green and probably go with a moose sprocket 40T. Have to put the elctrical sh*t back on and get new front brake cables one is siezed up good. But little at a time. I hope I put that rear spring back on right it was a biotch to get back on. I almost killed myself with this sh*tty coil spring compressor I have not good for these little ones! Mofo flew off took out my shop lite and put a nice dent in the cabinet!

dsc01597.jpg

dsc01598.jpg

dsc01599.jpg

Finished the sprocket paint and the skid plate welding-

dsc01600.jpg

dsc01602.jpg

dsc01601.jpg

Thank Ya!:D

i like the color of the green springs!

Last edited:
Thanks, It's a cheap rattle can but is easy touch up. I just noticed I put the rear spring on upside down. Damn that was a mofo to do. I have to get some real compressors so i don't kill myself like i almost did getting it off!

Thanks, It's a cheap rattle can but is easy touch up. I just noticed I put the rear spring on upside down. Damn that was a mofo to do. I have to get some real compressors so i don't kill myself like i almost did getting it off!

what kind of paint is it? i really like how that looks but im scared to take the springs off myself lol. that would definitely do some damage if it hit you

lookin good bro, i smell a ride together brewing???