How To Re-Pack Your Silencer (w/ Steel Wool)

well i tried this out today and i must say that i felt an increase in pulling power when i shifted from 3rd to 4th.Its still kind of loud tho ...but i like it.Two thumbs up I:I

I did this with my 250R and it def made it sounds a little different and it seems to be running better (could be the colder temps too though)

For what it's worth guys, I read an article in a mag (dirtwheels?) that said that regular repacking of the silencer is a critical maintenance item for two-strokes. When the packing becomes full of oil and carbon, it seriously affects performance so this is something that should be done often.

It didn't say anything about what material to use, so my take is use what you like, fiberglass or steel wool, anything is better than nothing. For those worried about the steel wool rusting, they do make stainless steel wool, and I've even seen aluminum before, it might just be something you have to order.

Steel Wool is Flammable!!! String some out and light it with a lighter. Check out what happens. You should'nt get sparks in the silencer, but just in case, it may be safer to get some flame retardent material.

My muffler is crewed. What a waste. Forget FMF.
I tore the fenders off and got the allen screws off, then the muffler wouldn't slip off, not w/ WD-40 either. I am leaving that thing as is.

Well i just used my own two hands and pulled the silencer from the pipe... maybe some pushups would help... quit dissing the blaster and start dissing yourself

Save a lil money and that "piece of crap" could have plenty of power! But if a new quad is what u want then atleast stay with two stroke power,may I suggest maybe a banshee! Just my opinion.

"Anyone know of a better ATV with more low end power and still lightweight and easy to move around."

It's called a modded Blaster!

I didnt read through this whole thread out of pure lazyness, but wanted to mention a couple things just in case it didnt get mentioned.
First off, DONT use fine or extra fine steel wool especially if your pipe doesnt have a spark arrestor screen.
They can get hot and throw sparks and little embers. If you dont believe me, take a 9v battery and press the terminals into a piece of steel wool, and watch what happens. You can actually start a fire this way.
The best bet for packing is the stainless steel scouring pads for washing dishes. You can also buy them at dollar stores in like 3 or 4 packs. It cost me $5 to pack both my banshee silencers.
Another nice thing about the heavier stainless pads is they dont burn up. They might get clogged with oil sludge over time but a quick dip in gas will clean it right up and you can reuse it.

Thats my $.02