How To Re-Pack Your Silencer (w/ Steel Wool)

Yeah i think you might be right with the restriction thing, because it's a DG silencer on my pipe, and so it's just got the end cap on it, nothin in the silencer

z400 may be a better choice rather than a 400ex. reasons because the z400 isn't air cooled like the 400ex the z400 has twin cams and is completely interchangeable with the dvx400(artic cat) and kfx400(kawasaki) all the exact same bikes just different plastics

I beleive so

Just my 2 cents, blasters are good for the money you pay, you can never stop making fast faster, but if you want something that can hold up like no tommorow, get either a warrior or a ltz400. those two quads are electric start with reverse but still maintain a lightish amount of weight. Warriors are alot cheaper, however the ltz has 50ccs on it and the ltz is water cooled, meaning pistons last way longer and it doesnt over heat as much. Like i said, just my 2 cents.

alright,thought i would update this thread first i used the 0000 and after 5months of riding it hard i decided it was tiem to repack the silencer soem of the steel wool had started to smolder into soot because of the high heat so i decided to switch to #3 grade steel wool because its more thicker and will probably hold up to high head better it still works amazing.

Yesterday i took my silencer off, and on mine the end caps dont come off, the entire shell does, just leaving the core and cap connected to the pipe that goes to the pipe. So im not sure how im going to be repacking it. But the fiberglass is black. I pulled a chunk of it out, and the top of it fell off, but under it is fine. So i think im not gonna mess with it unless i get it running. But i took some #3 steel wool i found, and started cleaning up some rust spots on the frame, and it made it look better on some of the mounts. So i went over to the silencer, and cleaned up the end cap on the shell, which is the exit end. It went from rusty and crappy looking, to pretty nice looking and shiny. So i did the same to the pipe that goes to the pipe, and it went from rusty and crappy, to nice and kinda shiny. But its pitted real bad, so it still looks crappy, but it looks better then it did at first. I dont really see why you wouldnt be able to use the wool that you cleaned the silencer with to repack it. So if you go to repack your silencer, and its kinda rusty get the rust off with the steel wool, then put it in the silencer. Get full use out of it. But ill have pics up later of what the pipe looks like now. Tomorrow i might get more pics of my silencer all cleaned up.

i repacked my silencer the other day and there was nothing left for packing in it omg. they were out of packing at the shop so he sold me a special order packing sumone never picked up and i cut it open and stuffed it in my pipe and wat a dif. i have enough to do 4 pipes. he also didnt rec. using steel wool.

is it possible for the old packing inside the silencer to plug it up?
also what about gutting it out ,will that cause bad things to happen to quad,btw i dont care about noise

hey everyone thanks for the steelwool idea. i just finished packing my lrd and it works great, for those of you that are uneasy about doing it, it does work. a lot quiter and can feel a little power gain. now i can cruise through the neighborhood with out people bitching. super loud with out packing. dont get me wrong when i wound it out it still sounds like a beast.

yeah i know sorry i forgot to turn off the flasher lol!!!! anyway what u guys think bout the job i did and the steps i tried to explain?

thanks man!! that helped... that stuff looks pretty easy to do[ url=http://www.mysmiley.net]
jumping0044.gif
[/url]