How To Re-Pack Your Silencer (w/ Steel Wool)

dirtyblaster

Mar 26, 2007
first one is what you will need i reccomend two packs the metal thing is the only thing long a thin that i had that would fit

second one is what a peice looks like when you take it out of the bag

third is how the peices you take off of the chunk should look after you tear it apart

4th is how to put in the silencer leave the core attached let the weight of the metal thing push on it push a little if you do not have one just use a crowbar.

5th is nearing completion my grab bar is not rusted its the camera that i kind of broke a little.

sorry i did not take pics of drilling out rivets and putting new ones in, i would recommend wearing gloves.
i am not responsible for any problems that happen i have not had any problems with the steel wool pack it a little bit hard, it may be loud but in time it will quite down hopes this helps, and be patience with this it takes a while to tear apart steel wool i used a bag and half of this stuff. the reason why i got fine steel wool is because it works best. i also say pack it like the crow bar can stand on it leave it the distance away from the top because it needs a little bit of room.

Attachments

• IMGP1107.JPG
    IMGP1107.JPG
    38.8 KB · Views: 1,280
  • IMGP1102.JPG
    IMGP1102.JPG
    25.3 KB · Views: 1,165
  • IMGP1105.JPG
    IMGP1105.JPG
    29.2 KB · Views: 1,076
  • IMGP1104.JPG
    IMGP1104.JPG
    28.7 KB · Views: 1,224
  • IMGP1109.JPG
    IMGP1109.JPG
    37.3 KB · Views: 1,370
yeah i know sorry i forgot to turn off the flasher lol!!!! anyway what u guys think bout the job i did and the steps i tried to explain?

Yeah I think you did a good job but I dont have a silencer to try it. But yeah thanks for teachin me.

Well done.
Does anyone know what allen wrench (or other tool) to use to get the muffler off?
This is the FMF POWERCORE II.

i understand what you are saying in the 4 pic you can not see the core because of that metal thing that i use to push the steel wool down, you leave the core attached to the bottom and you just rip apart steel wool and push it down there (not the core) don't forget to get the sides they need to be equal so it works better. the reason why you should leave it a distance away from that cap that you take off is so when you fire it up the steel wool will move a little so its not cramped as much that was the first mistake packing it all the way too the top hard. so leave it a distance away from the cap so it can slide to the cap when you fire the beast up.
lbwd i do not know the name of the allen wrench but i think the size is 2.5 just keep on trying sizes it looks like a metal thing with black things that fold out.

any questions feel free to ask me

My muffler is crewed. What a waste. Forget FMF.
I tore the fenders off and got the allen screws off, then the muffler wouldn't slip off, not w/ WD-40 either. I am leaving that thing as is.

I don't like my blaster. Anyone know of a better ATV with more low end pawer and still lightweight and easy to move around. I want a fun ATV that works. I was looking at the YFZ or Suzuki's... but I think I am stuck w/ this piece of crap.

try hammering it off with a rubber mallet and drill out the treads and use rivets if u don't like it.

My muffler is crewed. What a waste. Forget FMF.
I tore the fenders off and got the allen screws off, then the muffler wouldn't slip off, not w/ WD-40 either. I am leaving that thing as is.

I don't like my blaster. Anyone know of a better ATV with more low end pawer and still lightweight and easy to move around. I want a fun ATV that works. I was looking at the YFZ or Suzuki's... but I think I am stuck w/ this piece of crap.

400ex would be my choice. They are like a tank with a lot of lowend.

ok lbwd it depends on how much money you can afford to spend. let us know the price range and we can help u better.

Thanks. As long as this thing holds up, I'll keep it. When the time comes though, I'll look at others. I ride with two 400 EX's and have ridden on them too. They do have a lot of low end power.

well i don't know if anyone else on this forum has tried this, but as soon as my friends heard about steel wool packing come out my mouth they called me as soon as they got home and had me come over to do it for them.
it works great! its cheaper, and it could last forever

im going to try this my self i got a fmf silencer on mine but it loud so ill give it a try. tks for the how to.