How To Re-Pack Your Silencer (w/ Steel Wool)

i pickup the double oo steal wool today and i should do it tommorow

yes it made it quiter, and i personally think that steel wool is better packing than fiberglass shreds that always get blown out,i swear i felt a hp gain with the steel wool as packing. many of my friends have tried using steel wool as packing on thier quadand dirtbike and they love the results.

no, why would you want to do that? i beleive a stock silencer does not have a core so it will just blow chunks out or block the dirty exhaust reside being pumped out which can cause damage if blocked and trapped into the engine

re-packing only applies to a aftermarket pipe

Hum. Ive never heard of using steel wool. Interesting.....

however the trustworthy Pinkpanther insulation works great and is cheap too. Just remember to take the paper backing off.

there is no power gain between fiber glass,steel wool, empty or no silecer at all(does not harm the motor!!!only your ears,LOL)...your silencer is just that(a silencer) its a strait through tube with no wind resistance=no backpressure;that means no power change only sound absorbtion...and the only time you get a power gain is from switching to aftermarket from factory(factory MUFFLERS have baffles and or packing)they do have wind resistance and will cause backpressure thus reducing power. the time a two stroke NEEDS bakpressure is when the exhaust pulse is in the expantion-chamber, making the pulse travel back and fourth acting as the exhaust valve.

umm how you get the end off i took out the alan screws bbut it wont slide off.. which way do you hit with the mallet? could you take a picture,, my DG type 2 exhaust needs repacking and i wanted to repack it with the steel wool but i could not get the end off.
edit: p.s. blasters arent p.o.s. they are light weight and fun to ride.. either you recked it or the previous owner had no idea what he was doing.. cuz i just a sh*tty one and after 2 weeks and like 300 dollas of work and stuff put into it we got it running and it needed tweakin cuz at uppermid rpm it wouldnt accel like it should, until the spark coil went bad.. that or theres a wire short somewhere which would suck:edit

Yeah those dg silencers can be a pain to get the caps off, especially when they have dents. Take the end with the tube that goes to the pipe first. Just pull on it after the screws are out. It will come out eventually.

as i read this i was thinking???????????have you ever left steel wool on the sink after you scubed a pot and two days later it's a pile of rust with no wool!!!!!!!!!

i'm new but just my 1.5 cents

well, steel wool with not dissapear from ur silencer like water will make it dissapear. dharbeck if u want to use the packign thats made for ur silencer fmf sells packing kits