yamabond 4? threebond 1194? alternatives?

J4M1E333

Oct 11, 2009
North Wales
so I'm gearing up ready to put the bottom end of my spare motor together and everywhere I look people are saying use the yamabond 4 or the threebond 1194, however in the uk this is proving difficult, there's one guy on eBay, selling a tube for 28 pounds, which is like 45 dollars just for a tube of gasket sealer, anybody have any alternatives? I know yamabond is the best of the best but can't warrant spending that money on it. thanks in advance guys.

What does the dealer get for a tube of Yamabond? If you have other brand of dealers close by se what they have, Hondabond, etc. All machines use some type of sealer for case joining. Unless you have some weird eco law restricting import of chemicals or trying to promote local goods, that Ebay stuff is a rip. That's like 10X what it goes for here in US. Maybe go to local auto parts and see what they have. Should be semi-drying gasket maker. DO NOT use silicon or Permatex #2.

we dont have dealers over here as such, parts are a nightmare to source honestly, have looked for hondabond, kawibond, the threebond. all with no luck, the parts stores here are rubbish, they have like the choice of 4 that's it, I'll try and keep my eyes out for some stuff, and cheers man, it was a bargain and on close inspection yesterday, it's had head work done I:I

cheers mate, 30 mins down the road, definitely be worth giving them a shout, :)

If that doesn't pan out for you, I know what will!

You're a whole lot closer to Germany than I, so I know you can find what Im about to suggest. This may sound strange, but go to a Stihl outdoor power equipment dealer and ask for a tube of Dirko. It comes in a bright red tube, with most of the packaging labelled in German.

Stihl Corp uses it (at the factory) to seal up both machined and as-cast surfaces on their engines. It is some of the best sealant for engine cases, reed cages, etc that you can buy. Stock Stihl 4-Mix engines have their crankcase blocks and cam covers sealed up with Dirko, and it lasts forever until you have to take something apart for repair work. And even then you usually have to gently pry the two surfaces apart. Just have a bunch of paper towels handy when using Dirko. It makes a mess if you're not careful!

Good luck!

If that doesn't pan out for you, I know what will!

You're a whole lot closer to Germany than I, so I know you can find what Im about to suggest. This may sound strange, but go to a Stihl outdoor power equipment dealer and ask for a tube of Dirko. It comes in a bright red tube, with most of the packaging labelled in German.

Stihl Corp uses it (at the factory) to seal up both machined and as-cast surfaces on their engines. It is some of the best sealant for engine cases, reed cages, etc that you can buy. Stock Stihl 4-Mix engines have their crankcase blocks and cam covers sealed up with Dirko, and it lasts forever until you have to take something apart for repair work. And even then you usually have to gently pry the two surfaces apart. Just have a bunch of paper towels handy when using Dirko. It makes a mess if you're not careful!

Good luck!

cheers mate, that sounds a lot easier if it doesn't work out, will be sure to check that out. :)

Good call Braaptor, I forgot all about Stihl being made in germany. They've got decent chainsaws, a little heavy but still a decent saw, my near 20yr old husqvarna 254 still rocks never been rebuilt. Timber be scared

Does rocky mountain atv ship to the UK? I live in the states so this is a serious question :D

EDIT
So I went and looked, its going to cost the poor guy both his legs and half his left hand for a tube of yamabond from rockymountain,

DUTIES AND TAXES ARE ADDED IN THESE RATES! You pay nothing more than what you see here!

Order Total Total shipping rate – To your door:
$0.01 to $99.00 $50.00

Thats a copy paste from rocky mountain atv
(Source: http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/International/GB)

Poor guy would pay like 60 dollars for a tube after shipping haha.

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah rocky mountain ships but the costs are a bit much, think I'll just go with karterphils idea :) cheers for all the help guys, much appreciated.

Ya, I knew he was UK, just posted for cmparison price. Only 3bond I found on US Ebay was over $20, ouch, was why I linc RM, so others would see also.

But what I don't understand is with duties/taxes etc, how come whe get so much cheap, junky, worthless, Chinese crap in the US? I know that most are paid 3 bowls of rice per day, but still have to ship it. But what do I expect when our Olipic team wore uniforms made in China X( :eek:

Ya, I knew he was UK, just posted for cmparison price. Only 3bond I found on US Ebay was over $20, ouch, was why I linc RM, so others would see also.

But what I don't understand is with duties/taxes etc, how come whe get so much cheap, junky, worthless, Chinese crap in the US? I know that most are paid 3 bowls of rice per day, but still have to ship it. But what do I expect when our Olipic team wore uniforms made in China X( :eek:

haha, exacty I don't understand it to be honest, don't understand the whole duties thing, just wish parts were the same price over here as they are over there, :(

Hey, we live right next to the US and still end up paying more for our stuff.
Honda makes a Hondabond stuff too, check the dealer.
Hylomar products made in Britain such as Hylomar Universal Blue may work well too, I have not tried them.

Steve

Hey, we live right next to the US and still end up paying more for our stuff.
Honda makes a Hondabond stuff too, check the dealer.
Hylomar products made in Britain such as Hylomar Universal Blue may work well too, I have not tried them.

Steve

Don't know if the hylomar I used was from UK, but was way stupid expensive. 1/4 size of 3bond, 1/2 the price. Good stuff tho I:I