xbox 360 help

125pb

Apr 25, 2010
3000ft above sea level, 70-85F
i know there are some guys on here that know there stuff about xboxs (well I hope) i bought an xbox back in sept. 2007. it did good till about 6-7 months ago when the RROD came on, i havnt done anything to it since. recently i took it to a computer shop that told me one of the heat sinks was loose and when he put it back on it still did the RROD thing so he thinks there is a cracked solder somewhere and he could fix it but because microsoft didn't use lead solder, it would most likley do it again, he also told me they are pretty much made crappy from the factory. to fix it would be around 105$ and most likley it would RROD againX(. can anyone enlighten me on this? also i was looking at the new slim (4G). has it been improved at all and if so how?
i took care of it and never played for more then 6 hours at a time and it still RROD im pretty mad and then for a computer builder to tell me that they are or were made shi**...... well that just makes it better.

they were made like sh*t. they were rushed to beat the PS3 to the market.

basically they have a super-trick graphics processor to resize the picture to any tv easily. well they put that right between the main CPU and the fan with an undersized heat sink so it gets the blunt of the heat.

not sure about the guts on the new ones, but you might want to get a new 250gb if you play anything that requires downloadable content (halo, COD, etc)

you can get the parts and take it apart yourself and fix it, my stepbrother did and his is still working, avid gamer, like leaves them on all the time

I used to love my xbox. I'd talk trash on the PS3 and all of that. I got a PS3... gave it a legit chance... and now my Xbox is covered in dust. I can't stand that Xbox. Especially after the new update that makes it look like Windows 98. F*ck that. I'll use my smooth running, problem-free PS3.

I used to love my xbox. I'd talk trash on the PS3 and all of that. I got a PS3... gave it a legit chance... and now my Xbox is covered in dust. I can't stand that Xbox. Especially after the new update that makes it look like Windows 98. F*ck that. I'll use my smooth running, problem-free PS3.

i would have got another pstripple but alll my friends got xbox lol

lol when i bought my ps3 they didnt even offer an additional extended warranty specific for it lol, then i asked about the xbox and the said "if you want a cheap disposable gaming system then do it but prepare to buy another in 2 years" i know there are plenty of people out there still with their original xbox360 but admit it there are such a small precentage compared to ps3 owners who still have their original. i look at game stops reliability rating for faiure for the xbox it was 43% while ps3 it was 3% lol its the raw data that hurts

bought an 8 month old xbox and had have it for a year and a half played the sh*t outa it nothing wrong but always worried bout it

lol when i bought my ps3 they didnt even offer an additional extended warranty specific for it lol, then i asked about the xbox and the said "if you want a cheap disposable gaming system then do it but prepare to buy another in 2 years" i know there are plenty of people out there still with their original xbox360 but admit it there are such a small precentage compared to ps3 owners who still have their original. i look at game stops reliability rating for faiure for the xbox it was 43% while ps3 it was 3% lol its the raw data that hurts

The original xbox was higher then that too. It was in the 70% failure area.

Look up the towel trick youtube, it basically overheats the Xbox to the point of it resetting itself, but fixes the rrod. It can still get the rrod again, but it usually last for a couple days up to a couple weeks. When I had my xbox I did it and it helped until Microsoft sent me the box to send it to them to fix

Search the web on this. Lots of videos showing you step by step guides on fixing this with better than before where it wont happen again. What the problem is the thermal glue that they used was lower than wal mart grade. This will eventually get so hot and morphed that it melts. This intern allows the GPU to detach from the motherboard. Almost any flexing of the GPU will show the error message of the red rings. Most vids tell you to get arclite thermal paste(industrial stength and way better than the old stuff) and re-glue everything, and change out the reverse side clamp that helps hold the GPU down with a way stronger X-clamp. I have done this to mine and it worked out great. Have been going after this fix for a solid year. And beleive me latley I have been kinda abusing it to give me a reason the get the 250 gig but still solid. And I also picked up a TS intercooler.

The TS is the best and safest intercooler. Many will say they will melt to your box but mine hasn't. It is also better because it runs on its own power instead of the xboxes power like the older ones did. And another great feature is that it has an internal thermostat that turns it on when the box reaches a certain temperature and shuts it off onjce the box is cooled to a certain temp.

thats good tech info shadow have some rep, im hoping thats what the guy does with my xbox (its still in the shop). i think he described doing something like that. but from what i here they are still bad designed and will most likley do it again so i went and spent tooooo much money on the new slim (250gb). i am way impressed, out of the box you can see the big exhaust vent on the side and if you look though it with a flashlight you can see some heat sinks. should get the heat out quick. also impressed what it came with, headset, one month free of xbox live,and two games. wayyy coool. so far its been running at a temp. of 120-125 F i hope thats normal. but it did freeze on me alreadyX( WTF!! well i bought the extended warranty so we will see how it does. does anybody know the guts of these things? like how are they different then the older ones? did they change the specs (cpu,GPU etc.etc) more tech info would be sweet!