Woodruff key keeps snapping

Check to see if the inside taper of the flywheel is messed up from it spinning around on the crank. If there is anything there, this will be the thing that will keep you shearing the keys.
I'm having the same problem and Minot is torque to spec and I think I've tried everything else. What do you mean by messed up?

Check to see if the inside taper of the flywheel is messed up from it spinning around on the crank. If there is anything there, this will be the thing that will keep you shearing the keys.
I'm having the same problem and Minot is torque to spec and I think I've tried everything else. What do you mean by messed up?

If you can "get the nut on as tight as you need to" then you wouldn't be having this problem. Are you using the large spacer/washer that goes on before the nut? If the end of the crankshaft is slightly bent then yes it can cause problems.Depends on how bad and how far it is bent. I would get some valve lapping compound and put a little on the taper of the crankshaft.Then install the flywheel without the woodruff key and spin the flywheel with pressure a bunch of times.This will clean up and resurface the taper on the crank and flywheel. Once thats done wipe it all off good. Then reinstall the flywheel and woodruff key,spacer/washer,and the nut.Then put the impact gun on it and make sure you get it as tight as you can.If you want to torque it feel free but a good impact always works best.IMO If this does not work then I would suspect a new crank is in order. Good luck
I am also having the same issue and I am using a thinner washer as the end of the crankshaft threads are messed up so I wanted to get as much weight as possible. I can get it to torque spec 58 or whatever it is. How important is that thicker washer? I also noticed it's tappered on one side. Does that go on the inside or the outside?

Last edited: