Who has a twist throttle and likes it?

the better option is to get a honda thumb throttle, word has it they have way less tension
i'd look for a 300/400 ex

twist throttles are dangerous on quads

I learned how to ride ATV's on a Banshee with a twist throttle. It was suicidal, but fun as hell. Lol. I wouldn't recommend trying one on a Blaster, tho. I think Awk is onto something with the Honda throttle. Ive heard the same about Honda throttles being easier on the thumb, and want to try one myself.

One quick way to lessen the tension on your tumb throttle is to get rid of the TORS brick on top of your carb (if it isnt already gone), and run an aftermarket throttle cable. Im not gonna tell you to cut two or three coils out of your throttle slide return spring to shorten it, but that spring is massive and it can be cut down to ease throttle effort. Is this something a shop would recommend? Hell no. Have I done it to all the Blasters Ive owned in the past? Sometimes. ;)

Last edited:
Mine has a twist on it and I like it. I've been thinking about switching it out with a thumb throttle to teach my 9 year old son how to ride a manual clutch quad, I wouldn't let him try to learn on the twister.

Mine has had a twist throttle on it since I hae hadit and as soo as I can it will come off. What I have found for me being a novice rider and all is when things get hairy I tend to hang on the handlebars. A couple of times there has been some additional space between myself and the seat and that isn't normally all that bad except with a twist throttle I tend to think of holding on more than holding the throttle in one spot. Thats kinda the reason I have run myself over, twice now, ad the second time I really mean run me over. On thenote of a 300/400ex throttle, is a 250ex one will fit then I would recommend it also as I have one and its reall smooth and easy.

I had never owned an ATV until about 4 years ago when I bought my first 3 wheeler (something I had always wanted but was allowed to have as a kid), though I've owned dirt bikes since I was 4 or 5. 2 things that I guess make the twister easy for me is; I normally am standing on the peg rather than sitting on the set and after riding my T3 with a twist throttle, the Blaster is tame in comparison. Most of the riding I've done has been on Kawasaki 250 2 strokes (KX's and Tecates). My stock Blaster is very tame and easily manageable after the rides I've piloted in the past. Back in the early 90's I spent many hours riding open class 2 strokes. On the big bikes, throttle and clutch control in the mountains of east Tennessee can honestly be a life or death matter.

i rode dirt bikes during my young years but i still cant get used to them.. i would hate to get in a hairy situation and whiskey throttle it but your whole hand is on the grip instead of part of it.. so up to the nut behind the bars i guess

Both have their merits.

For over 50 years I have run a twister on all my bikes, both 2 and 4 wheel and am not ever going to change to a thumb throttle.

It is all in the experience of the user, learning to use a twist on a quad can present a few hairy moments, but once mastered can be very rewarding.

lol wow dual twist thumb throttles too much time on some companys hands. lol like how do you even begins to think which to use at what time.

think of why quads and sleds wernt designed with twiist throttle.

When I got my first blaster it came with a twister... It was horrible to work with, evertime I turned I.was hitting the powerband like mad, and when jumping or wheelieing it was horrible pulling on the bars.just opens up the throttle, and as said.above,.really bad if you get into a.sticky situation, anyway that's my experience with them, some people find them great, I.think their dangerous maybe because I was brought up on thumb throttles? I.don't know...

I've always used twist throttles on bikes. But I can see where it would be awkward turning a 4 wheeler. It takes a lot more effort to turn two wheels.