when i rev my 05 blaster, it takes a minute to idle down to normal. . no leaks.. HELP PLEASE

Copenhagen_boy

Mar 30, 2014
Need help, when i rev it it takes forever to return to normal idle.. no leaks and ive adjusted m air screw and idle screw on the tors.... cant figure out why its doing this.. and help would be greatly appreciated

Sounds lean...
Check for proper fuel flow(blocked tap/low fuel level), float height etc.

Happend to me yesterday, after washing her and let it idle a while to warm up a bit (don't like storing a wet engine). After a while the revs started going higher and higher, revs fine when bliping the throttle. I knew its a lean issue, but could not understand, as there was enough fuel in tank, or so I thought... it was just starting to hit the reserve portion of the tank.

Fuel level is fine, she has a whole tank and as for running rich, im not sure how to tell.. when i rev her she sounds great till she tries do idle back down then its sorta high and sounds like bum bum bum bum bum bum bum for at most a minute then idles down to a almost perfect idle.. im running 32;1 ratio in her.. plug smelled fouled but it wasnt, fired everytime.. but i did install a fuel filter but not sure if that could be the problem

Fuel level is fine, she has a whole tank and as for running rich, im not sure how to tell.. when i rev her she sounds great till she tries do idle back down then its sorta high and sounds like bum bum bum bum bum bum bum for at most a minute then idles down to a almost perfect idle.. im running 32;1 ratio in her.. plug smelled fouled but it wasnt, fired everytime.. but i did install a fuel filter but not sure if that could be the problem

lose the filter there's no need for it, unless your using an old metal or dirty plastic fuel can.

you adjusted the airscrew per the sticky in the carb thread, for highest idle ?
how many turns out is the airscrew ?

whens the last time the carb and air filter have been cleaned properly ?

1 1/2 turns out.. and i got the filter because i have a personal gas pump at my house and am afraid of debris and as for air leaks, i had her running and sprayed carb cleaner all over, i know thats dumb but had no other option

1 1/2 turns out.. and i got the filter because i have a personal gas pump at my house and am afraid of debris and as for air leaks, i had her running and sprayed carb cleaner all over, i know thats dumb but had no other option

so @ 1.5 turns out was highest idle ?
http://www.blasterforum.com/threads/adjusting-your-airscrew-pilot-jet.51060/

clean the carb again, installing the filter may have produced a small piece of fuel line ?

leakdown testers
http://www.blasterforum.com/threads/leakdown-testers.55015/
could be there within 2 days, seeing as how i'm right down the road from you :)

Spraying carb cleaner will not test the crankshaft seals, a complete leak test can only be performed with the proper tool.

Read up on how to set the idle in Awks post or you will continually chase your tail.

I finally have it idling pretty good, i turned my air screw in from 1 1/2 to 1.. sound pretty good now, but my other problem is my trans oil is disappearing, its not leaking out anywhere from what i can see.... after running its no longer in the sight glass..

I finally have it idling pretty good, i turned my air screw in from 1 1/2 to 1.. sound pretty good now, but my other problem is my trans oil is disappearing, its not leaking out anywhere from what i can see.... after running its no longer in the sight glass..

youve got to give the oil time to settle after a ride, its all in the gears after its been running, 15-20 minutes and itll be back to the bottom

If it does not return to be visible in the sight window, it would pay to leak test to see if it is being sucked passed the seal into the crankcase and getting burnt.

The hanging idle could have been caused by that seal letting air into the crankcase and creating a lean idle mix.

If you over fill the gearbox oil will be pressurised an be expelled up the breather and/or blown into the crankcase and wrecking the seal.

Anyway i can tell without a leak tester? And im not sure how to tell how much oil im actually putting in.. i dont want to hurt it.. and my buddies shee smokes a little when he revs it. When i rev i only get a little poof of sort..

Anyway i can tell without a leak tester? And im not sure how to tell how much oil im actually putting in.. i dont want to hurt it.. and my buddies shee smokes a little when he revs it. When i rev i only get a little poof of sort..
you own a 2 stroke. buy a leak tester. look at the back of the oil can/jug that youre using to pour the oil in and it tells you how much is in there, if it has 950 full, 950-650=350 that means you pour until theres 350 left in the can.

Last edited:
Reactions: jus_me and Awk08
If you are adding oil often, and you say you cannot see any leaks, it has to be going out of the exhaust.

Warm the bike up, drain the oil, wait until the engine cools and then add 650ml no more, no less of new oil.

Take it for a run and then notice where it shows in the window when the engine is cold.

After your next ride check the level of oil in the window after the engine has cooled.

If the level is lower, then you have a leaky oil seal.

You have to let the oil cool down and settle to get a reading.

Be warned though the window has been known to tell lies.

The only safe way to know if you have a leaky seal is to air leak test, which I recommend that you do.

If you are adding oil often, and you say you cannot see any leaks, it has to be going out of the exhaust.

Warm the bike up, drain the oil, wait until the engine cools and then add 650ml no more, no less of new oil.

Take it for a run and then notice where it shows in the window when the engine is cold.

After your next ride check the level of oil in the window after the engine has cooled.

If the level is lower, then you have a leaky oil seal.

You have to let the oil cool down and settle to get a reading.

Be warned though the window has been known to tell lies.

The only safe way to know if you have a leaky seal is to air leak test, which I recommend that you do.