what should i get?

falandys1002

Oct 4, 2009
mass
ok im looking for my first car/truck and need some suggestions i really want something 4x4 because i like offroading but at the same time i need something thats going to be somewhat good on gas any input would b appreciated I:I

If I were you I'd get an older FI F150 with a 300 straight 6. Great motors and better on gas than a V8. They are real common around here. Be sure to examine the frame closely if you are looking at F-150's...They have been known to rot out. I like Ford 4wd better than chevy's thermo 4wd, even though you gotta lock the hubs it's alot less problems, I wouldn't go with auto locking hubs period but that's me. I like stuff simple (standard tranny, wind up windows, manual locks, manual hubs, etc.) but that's just me. I like stuff so simple that I bought a 2WD. Motors I like are 350 chevy's, 300 I6 fords, and 318 dodges, these are older motors...I don't know too much about the newer trucks. How much do you have to spend?

Get a bronco, They are great on gas. I get 10mpg I:I
Here is my beast!
PICT0057.jpg

PICT0060.jpg

I think a ranger would be the best for you. Best of both worlds.

gas mileage and offroad.... there are a few options to give you that.. and trust me ... there will be no other options for fuel mileage and off road...

toyota 4 runner.. 84-88 22r or 22re auto or stick your choice... 488 gears front and rear... mine witrh a auto and 33x12.5s got 27 mpg highway and right about 20 city.... rock solid trucks and great in the mud!!!! ( out did my cherokee on 31x10.5 baja claws)

suzuki samari also great mud machines and good fuel mileage...

or a 4x4 geo tracker.. small lift and some good tires your set ( geo version of the sami)

i also had a 89 ranger on 31s with 9 inches of lift truck had 42s on it when the lift was done... 4 banger 5 speed 373s front and rear.... no balls even with the gears and 31s.. and gas mileage sucked....

well 95-01's have 3 motor options
ohv 4.0-160 hp
sohc 4.0-210
5.0 v8(not sure on the hp)
anyways iv owned an ohv and a sohc they were pretty close but the ohv gets about 18 city driving and 20 on the highway.
the Sohc was maybe 2mpg less but noticable amount of more power.

and it did great in the mud i was very impressed, the only limitation these truck have is IFS front suspension. but there are kits available.
and cheap ways to lift it.

i have buddys with 4 runners, pathfinders, s 10's, blazers.
They all hate fords but were quite impressed on how it did.

are u sure u werent stuck an ur buddies just sat there burning out in the mud an throwing the mud all over ur vehical cause damn thats a sh*t ton of mud. lmfao :eek:

haha nope its because those tires stuck out a little and they just threw mud everywhere.
she was even muddy when i totaled her, she was a champ in the crash thou.

Last edited:
JEEP is the way to go. i have a cherokee. 210 thousand miles and still runs like a champ. 4wd has never failed and the inline 6 gets 14-18

What ever you do don't get a s10. Two of my friends have them, worst truck off road I have ever seen trust me.
Jeeps are not bad. I almost got one before my bronco.