went to go look at a raptor 350 today.

05blasterkid

Apr 24, 2010
Corning, NY
so i went to go look at this raptor 350 to see if i wanted to trade my blasty for it and we got there and looked it over and started it up and it started to spit and sputter and back fire. the guy said it would judt need a carb cleaned and he says he knows so much about quads. my dad thinks its the valves and timing cause if it was back firing that would mean the exhaust valve is open when it shouldnt be and the timing is what controls that. what do you guys think would be the problem?

a dirty carb could cause that because it could be holding back some gas from getting through to the motor causing a lean condition. another thing it could be is if the raptor has mods (pipe, filter, etc.) and was not jetted also causing a lean condition. timing and valves can cause it to occur a little bit but not very noticeable (some motors don't even do it at all when they need timing and valves adjusted). but i'd say he was telling you the truth about it needing the carb cleaned. let us know what you end up doing!

well i definitely will. he was kind of weird and dorky so its hard to believe anything he says lol. but he said he is gonna have a shop work on it and he would bring it to me when its fixed. i dont think it has a air filter (aftermarket) but it has a hmf exhaust and he said it was jetted but if its not getting enough gas which is what hes thinking then it would be lean which suxks. i mean 4 strokes last longer running lean than a 2 stroke but i still dont like that word. but thanks for the input. anyother opinions?

4 strokes tend to run at peak performance a little bit lean but i still prefer to jet mine spot on. and as for the exhaust, if it's not jetted then that is definitely one of the problems causing the backfire, i can't stress how important it is to jet with a pipe! but a 4 stroke will last alot longer running lean then a 2 stroke will (due to the fact that if a 2 stroke runs lean it is depriving it of oil as well since you have to run oil through gas).

idk anything bout 4 strokes but i would keep blasty and make it faster than that 350 then c if u wanna trade lol

well i definitely will. he was kind of weird and dorky so its hard to believe anything he says lol. but he said he is gonna have a shop work on it and he would bring it to me when its fixed. i dont think it has a air filter (aftermarket) but it has a hmf exhaust and he said it was jetted but if its not getting enough gas which is what hes thinking then it would be lean which suxks. i mean 4 strokes last longer running lean than a 2 stroke but i still dont like that word. but thanks for the input. anyother opinions?

Just because it's rejetted, doesn't mean he rejetted it correctly. He sounds like an assclown and half, especially when I have to constantly hear these assclowns that "know their stuff" yet can't clean their own carb. 8-|

4 strokes tend to run at peak performance a little bit lean but i still prefer to jet mine spot on. and as for the exhaust, if it's not jetted then that is definitely one of the problems causing the backfire, i can't stress how important it is to jet with a pipe! but a 4 stroke will last alot longer running lean then a 2 stroke will (due to the fact that if a 2 stroke runs lean it is depriving it of oil as well since you have to run oil through gas).

well its jetted for the pipe but i cant guarentee its right. but a dirty carb would make it backfire more than the whole valve/timing deal?

Just because it's rejetted, doesn't mean he rejetted it correctly. He sounds like an assclown and half, especially when I have to constantly hear these assclowns that "know their stuff" yet can't clean their own carb. 8-|

he didnt rejet it. he bought the quad for his gf but she didnt ride it so it sat at his dads for like a year he said and wasnt ever ran. he was basically a ass clown and 7/8ths if you ask me. dam near was black. dressed like it and acted like it big time. i guess he works for a gas company so hes always away which explains him not cleaning the carb.

2ylnq55.jpg

to begin with a raptor 350 is a down grade from a blaster..the sputtering and backfiring is key symptoms of being extremely lean and probably bad gas.. second i sugest you go after that 250r since these days you can build one of those up cheaper than even a blaster with quality parts.. and they are still fairly competitive on the mx circuits with a good rider on board. ltrs really lack in the suspension and chassis design department not leaving aftermarket companies much to work with thus why they failed as motocross racer and the trx250r be came the king and the legend due to an all n all superb platform..but the ltr does shine in some cases believe me..

the trx250r was designed as a woods bike...stock form it is the perfect trail bike..till the 450s hit the scene it was the premiere GNCC race quad which is nothing more than glorified trail riding against a clock..parts are easily found and affordable