ugh another problem sadly...

warmeck

Dec 25, 2012
Connecticut
so i got the leaking to stop on the carb and i turned the petcock on tried to start it and it just wont start it turns over just dosent start. i have done a leakdown test,compression test, checked for spark,etc i have done all the troubleshooting things. thinking about waiting a month and just buy a whole new engine...if i cant figure this out im so annoyed. X(

03+ model? If so check parking brake to see if its deleted.

Check to see if tors is there. Clean carb thouroughly, check reeds for cracks chips or breaks. If any youll need to replace those. whats the airfilter look like?

the tors is removed, its a 2002 and i have about a gallon of gas, i checked the reeds it looks good, brand new airfilter , maybe i just dont have enough compression? it reads around 110 on compression and its bone stock.

110 should allow you to start it.

Not knowing the history, but if the motor has backfired at all, there is a possibility that the flywheel could have slipped putting the spark in the wrong time.

Another thing to try to see if gas is flowing is to crack the drain screw at the bottom of the carb open, and see if you get a constant dribble of gas out of the drain tube.

You could try taking off the air boot at the carb and atomising some premix into the carby as it is kicked over. It is good to have help as you do this.

i have not tried it with a shot of starting fluid where should i put the starting fluid at? and the flywheel is brand new i bought it off ebay brand new.

and yes the motor has backfired before but i bought a brand new flywheel and fixed the quad it was running for a couple weeks then stopped again =/

1-2 seconds blast on the air filter. This will help tell if it's fuel or spark related. Does it have a fat blue spark? Have you checked that the flywheel is still tite? If no spark start checking wires/grounds. Try a new plug?

it has a blue spark and yes it is a decent amount pretty big and the flywheel is on very tight i tightend it with an torque wrench

After trying to crank it have you pulled the plug to check if it is wet? I am going to suggest the starting fluid allso. I recently bought a kx60 of a neighbor that had been sitting for about 8 years. After cleaning the carb and putting new gaskets on it, i reinstalled and kicked and kicked and kicked and kicked. It wouldnt hit on sh*t. Even with two guys taking turns trying to start it and swapping the plug just to make sure it wasnt bad. Finally the neighbor says ive got some starting fluid and brings it back. He sprayed some and i kicked and kicked and kicked, finally said well i just it just isnt going to start. He says let me try one more time, on the fourth kick it cranked up and will start on the first kick every time now. Just food for thought, Good luck finding your problem. Ken

thanks ken! i will definately try the starting fluid as what u and larry said do u guys think my piston looks good? it looks in good condition to me

I dont know what the deal is with that video, but if i had some acid it might look right. Just kindding, i dont do drugs, but that video is worthless. Its just a blotchy mess. Let us know whats happening. and good luck.

Is the plug wet after trying to crank it?

the plug is not wet no and yeah i figured i also got some imagehack images if u can check those out, and so far ive put back on the cylinder head and my carb and plastics

I am not an avid supporter in using starting fluid in a 2 stroke, it carries no lubricant.

Atomisation of premix up the carb throat with a squirty bottle should do the trick, after all it is gas that the motor runs on.

Do not let anyone talk you into pouring gas into the plug hole, that practice is a motor killer.

If the plug is dry, then there is something amiss, is the airscrew out 1 1/2 turns, what is the float setting?

You can check the fuel level in the carby by lifting the drain tube up beside the carby and opening the drain screw.

The fuel level should level with the flange on the carby above the bowl gasket.

okay guys i found out the problem ill try to describe it the best i can i took off the clutch bakset and then found out that my gear right next to the piston gear was turned to the right so i turned it to the left and it locked back in place and now my kickstarter works again and im pretty sure it will start up when i put everything back together. i also found out why it stopped working i had the oil pump running into the carb when i was mixing the gas which made a very bad mix? im guessing? either making it run very lean or too rich? so i blocked off the oil pump and will clean out my carb tomorrow and put everything back on and i should be A-OK :)

Did you remove the pump or disable it, or did you just block off the oil pipes?

If now you run premix you should increase the size of the main jet to compensate for the lack of fuel in the mix.

While you have the carb apart , check the float level.

You may need to reset the idle as well.

Plug chop to confirm jetting.