trx 450 shock on my blaster with PICS

-FYI, I weighed the Blaster shock and 450R shock on my home scale which only weighs in units of 0.5lbs, but got:
Blaster Shock: 8.0lbs
450R Shock: 9.0lbs

Pretty good considering the 450R shock is larger and has a reservoir attached.

-Another FYI, I don't believe the cheaters out there that don't use Ken's bushings could get away with a 450R shock without something to keep it in the middle. The reservoir is VERY close to the frame even when centered. I spent a good half hour grinding that little tab down as close as I could to the frame with a Dremel because you need ever last millimeter to make it work.....and if you don't have a spacer/bushings on the right side of the top mount, it will inevitably hit the frame and mess your world up. Long story short....just buy Ken's bushings and you are alright(and make sure you grind the tab down near flush with the frame).

-I didn't have a 12mm drill bit(.4724 IN), so I bought a 15/32"(.46785 IN) bit at Lowe's and it worked...it's a tight fit and you might have to work the drill just tad, but it works. Probably a good idea anyways to clean the steel pin that pops out from oxidation with some sandpaper or lathe. I used a dremel with a wire brush attachment and cleaned it up

I'll post the differences in ride height once I get Ken's bushings in the mail as I'm still waiting on them.

ya lets see some pics

Not much to see until I get Ken's bushings. ;)

I haven't even dropped it yet. It's still propped on jacks. I thought the bushings would come in the mail friday or today, but guess not. :( Once their on, I'll take some pics. I was going to put my stock 21" tires back on the front tonight, but didn't in order to keep everything accurate for the seat height level when I measure it afterwards.

The Blaster has more wear from just sitting around than it does from riding. I haven't even rode it that much. I purchased it from my brother in law and he didn't ride it much either. Ironic that it's 0.050 over considering I had to scrap one rebuild after one guy I sent a rebuild out to thought it was a swell idea to bore it out out of round, so I had to get that rebored up to the next size and that's when I decided doing all the engine work on it. My ported engine probably doesn't even have 15 hours on it and that's including the long time I took to caress it through break in and letting it warm up everytime I ride. I've never had the stock 21" tires on it and they still look brand new but dirty. I have an extra set of 18" turf tamers on stock rims that I got with it. I put them on, but they don't have near the width in the rear, so they are worthless to me. I'll probably sell them in classifieds once I reach 300 posts.

Does anybody know how a newbie can post pics.I have some pics of the shock I use.I'm about to donate money to see if that would work.

Does anybody know how a newbie can post pics.I have some pics of the shock I use.I'm about to donate money to see if that would work.

You just upload the pics to a photo hosting site like photobucket, then put the image URL into the "insert link" button when you make a post.

What shock are you using? Donate money for what? :-/

upload your pics to tinypic.com, you'll need to create a free account, then copy and paste the .img code of the pic into your post here

Last edited:
Ok I'll try.They are r6 springs from like 06 or something like that.I have in mounted upside down for about a year with no problems. This is a great shock cause its adjustable and very cheap.I'm about to put to on the front with a different spring if I can find any.Or if shock fits... try this 09192010164.jpg picture by mac2mac2 - Photobucket 07132010078.jpg picture by mac2mac2 - Photobucket
I still don't know why I cant get those pics on here....

From an R6 street bike? Don't they run really stiff springs? How does it handle water mud and how does it take jumps with that extra pivot point on the bottom part? That looks like it would snap after I took a jump. :eek:

I got Ken's bushings in the mail today. Teasing limey bastid got them in on day 10, but made good on that shipping proposal haha. Unfortunately, I have to head in to work, so I will have to wait until tomorrow to ride it around a bit....and even then it's a muddy sloppy mess in Ohio with all the snow melting....the stone driveway is sinking from all the muckiness. At any rate, I'll have some pics and might make a video...we shall see.

I hooked everything up. I couldn't ride it much since I'm in the city and the yard is soaked in snow melt. It's noticeable softer though.....will know the real test when I take it out in the country.

I measured the stock Blaster height(with my +3 swingarm) and got 28"(without me sitting on it) from the point on the back of the frame. After putting the 450R shock in, I got 27.25".....so right now it is sitting roughly 3/4" lower in the rear, so maybe I will turn the preload up a bit, but I like riding lower too. The bolt Ken sent wasn't long enough. It needs to be about 1/4" longer because the stock nut won't go back on all the way...not enough length in the bolt. I might just go down the street to the machine shop and get the stock Yamaha bolt hit on a lathe.

As a side note, You have to watch the 450R shock with it's slightly larger rezzie and/or rezzie reservoir. The frame tab was cut off and that's fine...solid gap between that....no issue there. The stock airbox lid screws into the brass threadings on the plastic. There is a screw at the bottom that need removed......even then you have to dremel some of that plastic around that brass mount down to almost the brass mount itself. Ideally if you run an open airbox, just dremel the entire plastic around the mount off and the brass screwhole with it. The other problem is the front of the stock airbox is REALLY close to the reservoir. While I don't think it's touching, I think it could touch while riding so the plastic up front needs either thinned down with a dremel or cut out altogether.......which is probably what I will do anyways......as I was going to do it anyways when I make my other airbox. I'm putting together a vid but probably won't have it all together for a while.

yes to the removal of the screw, it almost rubbed a hole thru my rezzie before i noticed it, then i just used a bigger sheet metal screw for the lid, after i cut off the snorkel attachment flush with the lid, the box itself was good, no modding needed
all well worth the major improvement in ride !!!!!

Last edited:
ok guys hes what im working on now

this is just so you guys can kinda see what it will look like
be05fcd4.jpg

can someone post a pic like this of the 400 ex shock?

also is there a finished 450R pic yet? I'd like someone to take some measurements to determine if it will clear the factory 7 air box.