trx 450 shock on my blaster with PICS

The red shock fits a red/white/blue theme I could work with
101_7014.jpg

Shock pushed all the way to the right....close to the frame, but frame clearance is a non issue with the bushings in.
101_7015.jpg

The brass sleeve on the airbox AFTER I dremeled it down.....I really should and probably will just cut it out.
101_7016.jpg

Picture of air box brass sleeve that is in the way and the airbox and frame clearance.
101_7017.jpg

Rubs on stock airbox.....won't damage the shock, but still an issue that I will fix.
101_7018.jpg

Ken's supplied bolt is too short....I don't even have the washer on and the nut still only goes on 3/4 the way.
101_7019.jpg

Next up....changing tranny oil, putting stock 21" fronts on:)(), leakdown test, compression test, greasing the joints, cleaning the quad, carving out the stock manifold, and fabbing up my airbox
101_7020.jpg

here is my install pics. the delrin bushings are still in testing i have a few hours on them so far with no play but i have not been super hard on them either YET.
SHOCK1004.jpg

SHOCK1006.jpg

SHOCK1005.jpg

SHOCK1008.jpg

From an R6 street bike? Don't they run really stiff springs? How does it handle water mud and how does it take jumps with that extra pivot point on the bottom part? That looks like it would snap after I took a jump. :eek:

No its not stiff at all.The blaster weights less then 100 pounds less then a r6 . I'm looking at the book its says 337 wet.What does a r6 weight less then 400. It not stiff at all. it has two adjustments on in. The pivot point is welded to the bike. There is no way this is going to break. And it has more travel in it even tho it is smaller. And the bike sits about 2 in higher in the back. i can keep going on and on...... one of my friends weights about 280 he sat on my bike and it didn't bottom out when he sat on it .The adjustments were all the way soft and un stiff . All the way, if he had to ride it just a few turns he would be good , maybe even jump with it . A honda spring has nothing on this spring. And they are on ebay for $40 all day everyday... if anybody needs help to install one I can tell you more on how I did it..

im confuzed as to why you have the shock upside down????????

Yes upside down yamaha R6 street bike shock. You don't have to cut into your air box or touch your frame.and no rubbing unlike whats going to happen with this honda spring you see in this pic above ... If I put it the other way I would of had to cut the air box. The only reason i knew I could use it upside down because I see people put them on a Lambretta or vespa .. Here is one link http://scootrs.com/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=1755 look at the second pic of the r6 shock you can also see the two adjustment screws I was talking about or http://lambretta.org/index.php?pid=13 .

Last edited:
never heard of anyone having problems with the spring rubing anything and the two adjustments or the compresion and rebound the 450r and 400ex both have these adjustments along with the preload as well being as the 400ex and 450r shocks are made for using off road i would imagine they would work alot better than an r6 rear shock made to be used on the street where the ride isnt as rough

never heard of anyone having problems with the spring rubing anything and the two adjustments or the compresion and rebound the 450r and 400ex both have these adjustments along with the preload as well being as the 400ex and 450r shocks are made for using off road i would imagine they would work alot better than an r6 rear shock made to be used on the street where the ride isnt as rough

Lets see you hit a pot hole at 100 mph with a 400ex shock.Thats rough. Then lets see what happens when you put a 300 pound person on that shock. I bet the tail would hit the floor. Not really but the whole bike would be very low. This shock doesn't bottom out with all that weight . I'm only about 155 and it feels very soft over 99% trails. On rocks the size of a helmet it is a little bouncy . But aleast when I jump it don't bottom out. Doing donuts on a very rough opening is no problem. Maybe ill make a video of it working. Like I said before $40 on ebay. And its yamaha . If I wanted a honda spring , I would buy a honda.

Lets see you hit a pot hole at 100 mph with a 400ex shock.Thats rough. Then lets see what happens when you put a 300 pound person on that shock. I bet the tail would hit the floor. Not really but the whole bike would be very low. This shock doesn't bottom out with all that weight . I'm only about 155 and it feels very soft over 99% trails. On rocks the size of a helmet it is a little bouncy . But aleast when I jump it don't bottom out. Doing donuts on a very rough opening is no problem. Maybe ill make a video of it working. Like I said before $40 on ebay. And its yamaha . If I wanted a honda spring , I would buy a honda.

And if I wanted a Blaster spring, I'd buy a Blaster. 8-|

Maybe it works fine.....I really don't know......but it's kind of far out there that are a stiffer street bike shock would work(and last) in off road scenarios. Sure, the geometry is light years apart, but is it even fully adjustable through preload, compression, and rebound......I mean fully too. A small change on a street bike can make a huge difference, so it's not like they give you a wide array of adjustability. I also worry what happens when it goes through mud/dirt/etc. Not hating bro....just have my doubts :D

I still dont know myself because I only put it on about a year ago. I've been threw rivers where the shock been under water , I've been over big rock to climb into trails , I toke it onto coal hills and just about everywhere else .So far there is nothing this spring can't handle... It may not be the best but its far better then stock. I just need some good front shocks to match the performance of this rear shock... How are the shock yfz 450 shock?..

Just making sure as the #'s from 04/05 are quite different then 06-09. I found an 08 new takeoff for fairly good price, but I'm gonna wait to see if my buddy has his old 250R shock still around(free).

Got another question on this before I start drilling the bottom out. I scored a takeoff with 0 hours on it. 450R. Is there any reason to not bush the bottom, and go with another 10mm bolt? Doesn't appear that you would be able to use the same bushings as the top, but a standard spacer would fit the bill with a washer on each side.

That would make the shock have alot bigger resale value. The shock would not be any weaker then stock, and you would also have a honda interest. Is there any doubts or thoughts on making this work? Has anyone tried this on the z400, 400ex or 450r??? Seems to me, everyone is drilling the bottom.

LMK if I'm way off in trying this, just hate to put a drill bit to a basically brand new shock.

Man , I hope I'm not hijacking your thread, BUT it is a 450R shock on a blaster. My stock shock is out, and I haven't ordered the bushing unit/drilled the bottom ...yet. I found poly spacers at my awesome local hardware store. The top will fit just a tad loose in the mount. It appears the Oconners do also, as they would not fall out on a dircet fit???? For the bottoms, I used the same "bushing" , but had to pull out some files and grind it down, so to speak.

I'm hoping these spacers will withstand any type of pressure, although I doubt with my riding, I will ever test them. Definitely need washers, but for less then $1, it cant hurt to try. I will be buying bolts and washers/nuts tomorrow, and try fabbing it in. The spacers work for 10mm shock bolts, and I'm gonna get them for both ends. Hoping I can get grade 8, but what's the lowest grade you would suggest?

Got another question on this before I start drilling the bottom out. I scored a takeoff with 0 hours on it. 450R. Is there any reason to not bush the bottom, and go with another 10mm bolt? Doesn't appear that you would be able to use the same bushings as the top, but a standard spacer would fit the bill with a washer on each side.

That would make the shock have alot bigger resale value. The shock would not be any weaker then stock, and you would also have a honda interest. Is there any doubts or thoughts on making this work? Has anyone tried this on the z400, 400ex or 450r??? Seems to me, everyone is drilling the bottom.

LMK if I'm way off in trying this, just hate to put a drill bit to a basically brand new shock.

You drill the bottom shock hole out simply because it's easy and you can use your stock pin and you don't need bushings. Now if you WANTED to keep the bottom shock holes the same size, you could use a bushing like you use at the top, but it's going to be kind of difficult because the difference in size is VERY small meaning you would have to drill the swingarm shock mount hole out in order to have an eye on the bushing that is thick enough to support the load you are putting on it.

IMO, just drill the bottom shock mount hole. The rear shocks aren't THAT valuable that resale value is going to matter and hell.......if you resell it on Ebay down the road, you will probably get more as you already have the hole drilled and bushings to set it up on a Blaster and Blaster owners will eat that up.

I see what you mean about the bottom size. Very close. Well a few things to offer here, and watch out for...... I bought my shock as an 08' 450R takeoff, in which I'm doubting it is....

I rewatched your video(very nice job BTW), and got the #'s off your shock. HP12-00 TS-1A. Not sure what year your shock was from? The shock I purchased had this # : HP12-10 TS-1A. Now I was unable to track the #'s at all, and they both dont come up on the oem honda sites. Maybe somebody is smarter then me, and can find that info?

My rezzi is offset to the side by 3 1/8th inch off the center of the shock. I'm guessing yours is more like 2 3/4 ish. I never bought the bushings from Oconners, and I'm glad I didn't. I also made bushings for the bottom, so I didn't drill, and I'm glad I did. The only way I was able to make it work, was to offset the shock to the left side of the bike, so all my spacers are on the right, barring 2 thin 10mm washers(very thin). The shock is basically against the frame, very minimal clearance(paper thin).

I'm glad I didn't mod the actual shock, as I'm gonna keep an eye on it. Hopefully somebody can figure out the difference between my and 99's shock, so peeps steer clear of the shock that I got. By looks, they look identical, but the rezzi has a different offset for sure.

Get the #'s off the shock your looking at, and DON'T buy HP12-10 TS-1A.