trx 450 shock on my blaster with PICS

get that oil tank out of there LOL your just asking for problems. also it looks like your shock is adjusted all the way down you might wanna load that spring alittle

As a side note, what's the difference between the 400ex(earlier years) and 450r rear shock? It just seems like the 450r rear shocks go for less money than the 400ex. I see they both have compression and rebound adjustment, but the shocks are slightly different. The rezzie on the 450r looks larger too.

As a side note, what's the difference between the 400ex(earlier years) and 450r rear shock? It just seems like the 450r rear shocks go for less money than the 400ex. I see they both have compression and rebound adjustment, but the shocks are slightly different. The rezzie on the 450r looks larger too.

for the fronts the 450r is a lot better than the 400ex, the 450r the same adjustments as the rear. as for the rear I dont know I would assume the 450r is better b/c its a full blown race quad but we know what happens when you assume

What drill bit did you use for the bottom mount spot? Ken suggested a 12mm, but I don't have one. I can get one, but would a 15/32 work alright?

as for the drill to use, you have to use whatever size needed for the pin you get for down there, i noticed a little play when i did mine, so i went to the hardware and got the next size bigger, and drill to match

i can't physically see or feel any difference between the 450r and 400ex shocks, except the offset rezzie on the 450r to clear the shock, i had my 450r for 2 seasons, and have ridden ken oconnors bike with the 400ex and did not notice a difference in ride feel
the price difference may be due to people finding out that we are using these 400ex shocks, and the demand,
just like the gsxr brake parts i use for my kits went up in price, i was gettin them for under $20 shipped 2 years ago, now your lucky to even find one for around $30 + shipping, most have hit the $50+ mark, and i have even seen them listed as being for gsxr or quads < ???????
i guess word has gotten out, and demand will shoot the price up

Last edited:
as for the drill to use, you have to use whatever size needed for the pin you get for down there, i noticed a little play when i did mine, so i went to the hardware and got the next size bigger, and drill to match

i can't physically see or feel any difference between the 450r and 400ex shocks, except the offset rezzie on the 450r to clear the shock, i had my 450r for 2 seasons, and have ridden ken oconnors bike with the 400ex and did not notice a difference in ride feel
the price difference may be due to people finding out that we are using these 400ex shocks, and the demand,
just like the gsxr brake parts i use for my kits went up in price, i was gettin them for under $20 shipped 2 years ago, now your lucky to even find one for around $30 + shipping, most have hit the $50+ mark, and i have even seen them listed as being for gsxr or quads < ???????
i guess word has gotten out, and demand will shoot the price up

Alright....I just gave my 400ex shock to a buddy of mine since he is restoring his brother's old 400ex. His brother used to ride with us and died in a car accident and his 400ex has sat in the garage ever since....nobody has ridden it, but they are fixing it up and I guess the shocks have rust on the shaft and aren't sliding well according to him, so I just gave it to him and picked up an 04-05 450R rear on Ebay for $50(including shipping).....meh...alright deal...I'm happy. I:I I'll have to send in for Ken's bushings now.

What size bit was it that you used when you drilled the holes out?

What size bit was it that you used when you drilled the holes out?

good ebay grab 99

and i know you want to know the bit size, so you can grab one at work ????
/\/\ correct ???
but i took my shock, straight to ace hardware, told them i wanted a pin slightly bigger than the hole, then said, " now gimme a bit for that pin" didnt look at the size, just left the man do his job

good ebay grab 99

and i know you want to know the bit size, so you can grab one at work ????
/\/\ correct ???
but i took my shock, straight to ace hardware, told them i wanted a pin slightly bigger than the hole, then said, " now gimme a bit for that pin" didnt look at the size, just left the man do his job

:D Haha no not work. I have a couple metric bits, but not a 12mm and I believe 15/32 is the closest in size to the 12mm, but a tid bit smaller. I'm actually heading up to Ace here shortly to see if they have that bit or can order it in. I:I

dont use a metric pin, just use sae,
and get the bit to match, prolly all for under $10

it's almost 5pm, what you aint done yet, we want pics !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

All right here you go

7b3fbcd6.jpg

I think it sit's a little lower with the shock change

Last edited by a moderator:
What size bolt is it? 10mm? I'll have to go out and pick one up and loctite it on. Nice to see the fitment as I was wondering about it while brainstorming the airbox I'm making. Looks like there is a decent amount of play there. I kind of like it sitting lower. Ground clearance will be the same, but with my extended swingarm, I feel as if I am sitting just a tad too high. Lower center of gravity for the win!

EDIT: By the way......I admire your socket organization. Hahaha

that was a nut that i found lawing around my house that fit it. It works now
work 10 times better then with stock shock.

that was a nut that i found lawing around my house that fit it. It works now
work 10 times better then with stock shock.

Sounds good. I:I

While I don't think the rear blaster shock is TERRIBLE(at least not as bad as the fronts), it's still a pogo stick, so I'll be happy to have that softer and more comfortable ride with the extra 2 inches of travel being an added plus.

ya be for i put the trx shock on there i went throo like 3 stock shocks and then i seen on hear that you can use a trx shock so i did that and it ride smother