trouble starting

darederek

May 31, 2010
Greensburg
my friend just got a blaster and it started fine for awhile then it started to get hard to start. once it starts and gets warm it runs fine. What could be causing it? is it just like a fuel petcock problem or carbueration or what? Thanks in advance

Maybe your losing compression. The pistion worn out. It's could be hard to start because of that, bub when it heats up andthe pistion swells it's easer to start cause you have more compression.

well it was running bad because it was lean. person who he bought it off took off the airbox lid and had a fmf pipe on it and still had a 230 jet. were going to get a 270 in the next few days. is there anything we should check for piston, rings etc since it has been running lean for who knows how long?

You can pull the intake manifold and reeds out and look down the intake port. Roll the engine over and watch the piston go by. See if there are any gouges. Also, you can remove the exhaust pipe and do the same thing. It's usually a little harder to see up the exhaust pipe, a mirror makes it a lot easier.

If either side is gouged (scraped) it warrants taking the top end off to have a look.

Reactions: darederek
ok well the reeds are out right now so we will look. it has a little less compression than my blaster but my rings are fairly new and we don't know when his was changed or if it has been

If the airbox lid is no longer on the quad you can probably go ahead and order a vito's jet kit for the mikuni carb without airbox lid. It starts at a 290 and works it's way up from there. That range is pretty good for modded blasters and I recommend starting high and working your way down to dial in jets. Much easier to change a spark plug because it's fouled from rich than a top end because it's messed up from lean.

While you're at it (and your friend doesn't mind dumping a few bucks into his ride) for an additional $39 vito's also has the tors delete kit. (It can be had from other vendors, but if you're alreayd shipping a package from vito's, why not?) It makes jetting changes a LOT easier. If you're going to be changing needle slots and main jets the tors delete kit is AWESOME.

well in response to the piston expanding, i've heard opposite that it will lose compression when its hot. also we got the new 270 jet and it is back firing and bogging when warming up but once it warms up it still seems alot better. it looked like the reeds were a little chipped on the edges. could this cause our issues?

do they sit flat or is there a gap between them and the cage if there is you should get some new reeds i dont think that is your prob but idk

there is no gap but there is a chip in the corner. there was an airleak in the carb boot. we were out just riding and there is still a very small leak but it is just because we need new reed gaskets. we were out riding and the weld on his silencer broke though!!! he just can't get a break

if theres a chip then i would reccomend replacing them. my vforces had chips when i got my bike and i replaced them and it runs so much better