TOR's problems..

Painthehouse

Dec 8, 2010
Ireland
The Blaster is bogging and misfiring above a certain RPM, under 1/4 throttle is perfect, above that it's just misfiring. I'm thinking the TORS is kicking in because I dont need rejetting, spark is perfect and I'm getting fuel.

Wanting a second opinion if this actually is the TORS or coil or electrics.

Its an 06 with TORS unplugged.

If the TORS is unplugged , it shouldn't be affecting anything. It sounds like you may have some dirt in your main jet. Check your air filter to.

you have to do more the just unplug the tors on an 06 . did it just start doing this when you unplugged it ? has it been unplugged ? we need more info on why and when you unplugged the tors

I didn't touch anything, it was unplugged since I got it. (8 months without a problem ) I cleaned my carb thoroughly, checked the rubber, everything normal. it just started to bog over half throttle while riding, I stopped and couldn't get passed 1/4 throttle.

What lead me to believe it's the TORS was it can rev perfect while in neutral but once it gets in gear it cant get passed 1/4 throttle.

did you take out the jets and clean them or just spray some carb cleaner around and call it good ? these carbs need to be taken apart and cleaned out. pulling reeds and mixing screws. lots of people think spraying them down is good enough. its not.

Took apart the carb, pulled the floats, checked height from gasket, fine, pulled the jet, blew some light compressed air, cleaned the whole thing with carb cleaner.

CHECK THIS!
I am really not sure on a blaster... I purchased a banshee cheap because it would kick right over and start right up no problem, but would not Rev. at all it would just bog.
There was a parking break switch on the front break lever with a couple of wires coming out, I disconnected it and the bike ran fine.
Not sure if this is your Problem, but sounds VERY similar.

thats part of the TORS he stated this had been disconnected
CHECK THIS!
I am really not sure on a blaster... I purchased a banshee cheap because it would kick right over and start right up no problem, but would not Rev. at all it would just bog.
There was a parking break switch on the front break lever with a couple of wires coming out, I disconnected it and the bike ran fine.
Not sure if this is your Problem, but sounds VERY similar.

i would like to know how they "disconnected" the tors on the 06 because it does take more then unplugging it. but he said its ran good for 8 months. a compression test is next since he already cleaned the carb. did you check the plug ? just wondering if its fouling out under load?

Ohm the coil, plug boot and stator. Clean coil to frame ground and wire harness ground. Cut 1/4 inch off plug wire and put boot back on. What does the plug look like? Have you tried a new or at leat a different plug? Maybe put di-electric grease on grounds while you have them off, same with boot.

When I pulled the reeds both the lowers were loose, to the point they were fully opened and hanging, tightened em up snug and it ran like never before. Glad I caught them when I did. Thanks for the help, repped.

Neonnight. I think the 02+ can be disconnected from the wiring harness. A moose eliminator cap is next on my list, that fuxken TORs block is a pita to work with cleaning the carb.

STOP !!! Did you put loctite on the screws? If not, don't ride it until you do all four screws and allow it to sit so the loctite cures (about 24 hrs, sorry).

Let it set for half hour.. Only took it out for 5 minutes tops. I'll pull them first thing tomorow and loctite again and let it cure for the day.

Thanks for the heads up!

The ability to rev up without load suggests it's probably not TORS, not electrical, and not timing related. Either way the tors system is a frustrating piece of trash so I suggest a complete removal asap. As far as the current problem, my primary suspicion points to low compression. I'd also check the reeds and do a leakdown to check for air leaks, they can cause a wide range of symptoms. My crank seals were bad and they caused a similar situation to what you described. If it's none of that then you may have missed something on the carb cleaning. Good luck.

Edit: guess you got it before I posted. Glad it was that simple for ya!