1989 blaster tor problems questions and help

Blastermit

Mar 13, 2019
I have a 1989 yamaha blaster with a twist throttle and from what ive heard the tors should have already been removed but it still there. recently i was trying to tune my bike so I decided to mess the idle screw on top of tors. i ended up stripping it and then it ran like crap it would high rev when started sometimes and right before it quit running on me i only had like 1/4 of my throttle power and could barely get out of neutral or switch gears just puting along. i want to get the tors elimination kit or just a whole new carb and throttle cable. anyways i unplugged the tors cable from the carb and from under the hood the one that ran to the thumb throttle was already unplugged. but it wont start plugged in or unplugged i see some people cut and cross there wires is that something i should try. from my understanding it should run with the tors cables unconnected. the plug is getting spark good compression solid reeds clean carb

Just disconnect the 3 wire plug going to the TORS control unit under the hood. That should ignore the TORS.
Then test if Quad starts and revs.

As for the Idle adjuster screw you broke, If it still adjusts the throttle inside the carb, it should still work it's purpose. So you have to check inside the carb when you adjust it, if it still goes up and down (the throttle) you can continue with adjusting the idle speed here.

Reactions: Blastermit
Just disconnect the 3 wire plug going to the TORS control unit under the hood. That should ignore the TORS.
Then test if Quad starts and revs.

As for the Idle adjuster screw you broke, If it still adjusts the throttle inside the carb, it should still work it's purpose. So you have to check inside the carb when you adjust it, if it still goes up and down (the throttle) you can continue with adjusting the idle speed here.
Quad wont start

Do you have spark? Cause if you have spark, TORS is not what is preventing you from starting. If the TORS is disconnected on the 3 wire plug and quad still doesn't have spark, another possibility is one of the Black/White wires has broken insulation touching the metal body of the quad. Meaning it's like the ON OFF switch stays off.

But I would check for spark first.