Tools needed for a Tear Down

luvs2jeep

Jan 5, 2011
Mason, WV
Ok I gotta tear down my cases I have rebuilt tops ends. I do have micrometers, dial calibers, wrenches, and a torque wrench. Just looking for a list of tools and supplies I believe in doing it right. Any info would be great thank you.

Well you need an 8mm for the clutch cover, 17 for the stator, 19 for the clutch basket, 7/8(21mm) for the clutch gears, 13 for the cylinder and head, snap ring pliars, for some of the gears down there, a torch and a large metal piece for putting the cases back together, you're probably going to need kens videos if its your first time, and a flywheel puller.

Well you need an 8mm for the clutch cover, 17 for the stator, 19 for the clutch basket, 7/8(21mm) for the clutch gears, 13 for the cylinder and head, snap ring pliars, for some of the gears down there, a torch and a large metal piece for putting the cases back together, you're probably going to need kens videos if its your first time, and a flywheel puller.
It's a 12mm for the cylinder and head;)

1184, 1104, or 1194 case bond made by Three Bond. You should be able to get it off of E-bay. You'll also need PC seal grease for the seal lips. Give me shout if you need gaskets, seals, clips and lock washers, crank rebuild, or a bore. I have all of the parts in stock ready to ship.

Yes I agree a very must have tool. I have never rebuilt or done anything with the bottom end should I go ahead put a new crank in?

you're going to need a way to get the crank pushed out to split the cases also.

I use this cheapy 3 jaw puller from harbor freight, works great and comes with the long bolts needed too
http://www.harborfreight.com/bolt-type-wheel-puller-set-69889.html

puller.jpg

Reactions: Jeff Bennett
with this from HF it could push the crank and separate the cases?

yep, it's what i've used on all the bottom ends i've done recently
then use the KOR engine assembly vids to reassemble it using the thermal expansion method
for dropping the bearings and crank in.

Roger that been watching video after video nothing seems too hard. Had someone tell me to take the cases apart with a chisel WTF.....

I also saw a hammer mentioned last week :eek:
the only place maybe a rubber mallet may be needed is to LIGHTLY TAP around the back end of the cases to keep it pulling evenly with the crank area when you push the crank out, as the puller is attached to that area, and the back side may lag a little. light taps just to keep it moving, then put the hammer away for the rest of the job.

I want to try bolting a chain to one side and wrapping it around a tree, and a chain from the other side to my Jeep. I bet that would split the cases good!