Clear up Carb confusion for newb.

Doubledown

Jun 28, 2022
I have done a bit of research into carbs vs similar setups to my plan, perhaps to subjective, but I am not seeing a "best" answer.

I am swapping a blaster motor into a YSR and picked up a used motor I am rebuilding. For now I am doing the bare minimum cost wise to get this bike through DMV inspection and registered before pouring more money into it so I am holding off on the performance upgrades, but after I am legal I plan to get the Vitos 240, already have a V3 reed/block, and am looking at a performance RZ350 pipe. In California, sea level. Goes from Freezing to 110 seasonally.

I did not get a factory carb with my motor and will need to spend money on a carb anyway, should I find a stock carb (if so what is that model #) and jet it or is an aftermarket better matched to the planned mods (if so what aftermarket and jetting needed)

Sorry if I am missing any needed information, this is my first dive into the blaster motor arena. Let me know what other info may be needed.

There is never a “best” answer, only what works best for you.

You don’t mention if the engine runs as is.
A stock carb-26mm would be best for it, but you wouldn’t be happy with it on the 240. Conversely a good carb for the 240 would be too much for the stock engine. It would run but not well and jetting would be a nightmare at best.

As to jetting any of them presuming you won’t have a drastic change in elevation you’ll still have to adjust for temperatures.
Might want to look into a Dial a Jet