Tires ?!?!? Help!

imo 6 ply tires are a waste of power. i have ran my 2 plys through some pretty gnarley stuff with no punctures, and with them being so light the quad is just 10x more fun to ride.

all im sayin is unless your main riding is 1st or 2nd gear puttin through trails meant for 4x4's then 6 plys seems un-necessary.

i went from 20s to 18s and i tell ya theres no better feeling than popping the clutch into first gear ,unless you end up on asphalt bc the only direction it ges is up lol!

Hey Its time for me to get new tires. but I am stuck between two sizes. I do a lot of riding around local tracks where I have to do a lot of sliding and drifting. However, I've started to do some trail riding and I think that i might not be getting enough Clearance under my my Sprocket and Disk Brake. Right now Im running 18x9.50-8 in the back. I have to Chose between 18x10-8 which i know are great racing and drifting tires. or the 20x11-8 which I know will give me 2 more inches of Clearance in the back but I feel like the will not let me slide enough. Any tips? THANK YOU GUYS!

actualy it will only give you 1 inch more of Clearance

imo 6 ply tires are a waste of power. i have ran my 2 plys through some pretty gnarley stuff with no punctures, and with them being so light the quad is just 10x more fun to ride.

all im sayin is unless your main riding is 1st or 2nd gear puttin through trails meant for 4x4's then 6 plys seems un-necessary.

6PLY is a bit on the thick side but I purchased them in a 19 inch with itp bajas.Weight is not bad.I would have rather went with a 4 ply but they did not have them.Ripping threw creek beds and knarly thorns will tear right into a 2 ply.I know I have hole shots mounted up right now filled with half fix a flat holding them togeather.It all depends on your riding style and turrain.The set up I have is not much of a difference.Ill measure the weight when I get the tires mounted.This tire size is going to increase power reguardless of the added weight.18s Just to small even while running a 13/38 gearing.Snappy but dont feel right.19 going to increase top end just a bit and 1rst gear will actually have some use.Jumps will have a different feel im sure but still predictable.

Last edited:
6PLY is a bit on the thick side but I purchased them in a 19 inch with itp bajas.Weight is not bad.I would have rather went with a 4 ply but they did not have them.Ripping threw creek beds and knarly thorns will tear right into a 2 ply.I know I have hole shots mounted up right now filled with half fix a flat holding them togeather.It all depends on your riding style and turrain.The set up I have is not much of a difference.Ill measure the weight when I get the tires mounted.This tire size is going to increase power reguardless of the added weight.18s Just to small even while running a 13/38 gearing.Snappy but dont feel right.19 going to increase top end just a bit and 1rst gear will actually have some use.Jumps will have a different feel im sure but still predictable.

Hows about you do an edit and fix up these conflicting statements.

Its impossible to increase power with added weight and larger tyre diameter.:-/

Hows about you do an edit and fix up these conflicting statements.

Its impossible to increase power with added weight and larger tyre diameter.:-/[/QUOTE

Ow gees blaaster again.Increase over 18 inch tire.Do you run an 18 inch on yours.And really how much more do you think this tire weighs.Its not a 28 inch swamper 6ply.But this is for general riding and trail.I dont like redlining running an 18 inch tire while every one is a mile ahead of me.You should do a dyno on it blaaster that would be a good thread.With the 18 and 13/38 gearing I have no first gear and no top end.Short course mx jumping sure.Drag ehh no yes for a 100ft.Cross country type racing uhh no.But hey it is a youth bike and not a banshee.And Im really thinking ahead to a more modern bike here before long.

Ow I got yuh.I was putting my 2 cents into the 2 last posts and I was more refuring to 6ply 19 inch over 2ply 18.But yes blaaster no difference in motors power but actually power and range of power to the ground with a broader rpm range with the given gearing that will bolt up.With wheel combo weight is not much more.Tires are still short enouph to break em loose on this little quad.But yeah idk Im sure you have your own 2 cents.But like I said should do a dyno.But good looking out.We can always count on you.

Last edited:
This tire size is going to increase power reguardless of the added weight.18s Just to small even while running a 13/38 gearing.Snappy but dont feel right.19 going to increase top end just a bit and 1rst gear will actually have some use..

Your statement was incxorrect, an increase in tyre size will not give you more power, it will give you more speed yes, but it requires more power.

I am merely trying to keep you from posting incorrect information.

Before you type, think about what you need to say, research it, and then post correctly.

Each time I find you posting wrong info, I am going to comment on it, and I ask you to return the favour. If I post crap, please jump on me.

If you cannot post the correct info then, I sugguest you refrain from posting falseities.

P.S. I run 18" and 21" rears, 12:40, 13:40, 14:40, 14:42 sprocket and chain sets, for different applications.

2 sets of sprockets and chain will possibly solve your gearing probs.

But good looking out.We can always count on you.

Thanks for the compliment, and I promise that I will continue to do so, after all that is what I get paid for.:D:D

Last edited:
K.Guess I should have not used the term power and can see why its conflicting.Not talking about horsepower that your engine has.But rather beeing able to apply that to the ground.Idk man yah your right your always right what is power if your not putting it to the rear wheels.Idk man.Im dumb.Get more torque with no first gear and no top end thats all I know running the 18.Maybe there is a new gear out I dont know about to compensate to get back to oem range.

K.Guess I should have not used the term power and can see why its conflicting.Not talking about horsepower that your engine has.But rather beeing able to apply that to the ground.18-19 really is not much but enouph to be able to get some use out of first gear.Thes bikes come factory with a 21.Thats quite a difference.

i dont see the need to do 120+kph nor do i have anywhere to ride that i can get up to that speed, which is why i run 18's to get that snappy feel when i punch the throttle, and i lower center of gravity for cornering. that being said i rarely use first or second, but i also rarely use 6th. i do most of my riding in 3rd 4th and 5th because out of corners if i ride the clutch a bit in 3rd it will still spin with no boggin and get me outta the corner fastest.

i dont see the need to do 120+kph nor do i have anywhere to ride that i can get up to that speed, which is why i run 18's to get that snappy feel when i punch the throttle, and i lower center of gravity for cornering. that being said i rarely use first or second, but i also rarely use 6th. i do most of my riding in 3rd 4th and 5th because out of corners if i ride the clutch a bit in 3rd it will still spin with no boggin and get me outta the corner fastest.

I agree.The handling and quick throttle responce and snap is increased with the 18 inch tire for more of a track type style of riding.And yeah its fun.Im hoping with the 19 I can still have this but yet not half to redline on the top end while riding with my buddies and trying to keep up when there just cruizing.Trying to find the median between the both given the size of the machine.Stock yes way to much tire.I dont think there will be a huge affect on the added wheel weight.Right now running painted steel with the hole shots I think the 19inch veerubber with the baja rims should be a good combo.Really between the 2 sizes its not much of a difference but maybe just enouph I can hold the top end cruizing speed with out redlining.I will just have more use out of the range of gears.Idk we will see have not mounted them yet.

I really like them ITP HDs to bad they dont make them in a 4 ply 19 inch.Thats a sick tire.

Last edited:
Thanks blaaster but I beleive Im allready running the tallest gear ratio to compensate for this tire size.I could drop down a couple more teath on the rear sprocket but I would half to fabricate the rear hub to fit.I think some people were doing this with a honda rear hub but the splines do not match properly.I allready have the veerubber in a 19 should be good to my preference after I mount these.That is a good tool.With the 18 inch tires and tallest possible gear ratio(14/38) its max is 57mph.Thats about right.And do that its a 2 stroke you can only hold this for a few minutes.
7126-p5204129.jpg

Last edited:
Not trying to thread jack, but is drifting and overall ride better with squarer tires? I have the stock ballooners on the rear and I feel that I can't go around corners as fast because I feel like it will tip easier than a squarer tire like Holeshots.

With the 18 inch tires and tallest possible gear ratio(14/38) its max is 57mph.Thats about right.And do that its a 2 stroke you can only hold this for a few minutes.

Not sure of what you are getting at here.

At 8600rpm the top speed is about 57mph.

And why would a 2 stroke have a problem maintaining it for more than a few minutes?

Not trying to thread jack, but is drifting and overall ride better with squarer tires? I have the stock ballooners on the rear and I feel that I can't go around corners as fast because I feel like it will tip easier than a squarer tire like Holeshots.

The lower profile and the squarer tyres, make drifting so much eaiser and safer.

About 5 psi or less, make it even eaiser.

Not sure of what you are getting at here.

At 8600rpm the top speed is about 57mph.

And why would a 2 stroke have a problem maintaining it for more than a few minutes?

Your not supposed to hold your throttle wide open or keep it constant on power band.You will blow the motor.On the more modern bikes(lol if they still made 2 strokes) its electronicly controlled to cut out and kick in simular to a rev limiter at high rpm.Has it on my jet ski I know this for sure.But then I am not sure what the maximum rpm range is on a blaster but I assume at 8600 rpm thats getting up there.This would apply even more so on a pumped up polished and ported machine I would assume..I was refering to your calculator and gearing.This is my set up with 18 inch tires and its pretty accurate.

My rims came in today.Offset looks a bit wide.There 3+6.Thought the blaster oem was 3+5 Im not thinking it is as the bajas seem to have less back spacing.

Last edited:

IMO.Get rid of them balloon tires.They should be banned like the 3 wheeler.There dangerouseI:I

Your not supposed to hold your throttle wide open or keep it constant on power band.You will blow the motor.On the more modern bikes(lol if they still made 2 strokes) its electronicly controlled to cut out and kick in simular to a rev limiter at high rpm.Has it on my jet ski I know this for sure.But then I am not sure what the maximum rpm range is on a blaster but I assume at 8600 rpm thats getting up there.This would apply even more so on a pumped up polished and ported machine I would assume..I was refering to your calculator and gearing.This is my set up with 18 inch tires and its pretty accurate.

My rims came in today.Offset looks a bit wide.There 3+6.Thought the blaster oem was 3+5 Im not thinking it is as the bajas seem to have less back spacing.

Ohh crap, I was not aware of that, I had better change my riding style.

But hang on there, I have been doing that since I was 16yrs old, and not one blown motor.

I'm with you Blaaster, I thought throttles only had one posistion, WIDE FAWKING OPEN I:I

However, I can see where if you were jetted near lean, an extended wot run could cause problems. I see it all the time on BHQ, the'll talk about blipping the throttle.