The future/imagination of ATVs

99LRDblaster

Jan 25, 2011
Delphos/Columbus, Ohio
So what should we be expecting to see down the road? More carbon fiber bits?

I was outside messing with my blaster today and started to brainstorm a little. Just a knee jerk thought, but making a quad approximately the blaster's size, but....

-Carbon Fiber Frame(already been done)
-Carbon Fiber axle(already been done)
-Stock KTM 125cc 2 stroke with big bore kit, lots of mods, and carbon fiber case covers
-Carbon Fiber beadlock rims(of course)

Now while this sounds outlandishly expensive...and it is...it's quite possible with this setup to have a racey quad with 50+hp(yes modded 125s make it), yet only weigh 150lbs. :eek: Imagine riding that. B) You are thinking I'm insane by this point, but I've researched this quite a bit, and it is a very realistic number and completely possible to pull off. On a mass production basis, you could even do it for a decent amount of money....but we haven't quite hit mass production levels yet. :D Even so....I dream....50hp...150lb quad.....:D

the future of ATV should be a reasonable price Quadski..

If that thing was say $20k area... or just north of that, then everyone should have one...
Beats the piss outta the argo thats for sure....

Last edited by a moderator:
that would be cool. but why not put it in something bigger then a blaster? blasters are fun and everything, but there is a reason why most people wanna extend every part of it.

Blaster's are small and compact......this is a good thing. I should note that my imagination there does include extended A-arms, swingarms, and axle, but besides that, the small size is a definite plus. Smaller=lighter and able to go through trails easier. In this day and age of everybody increasing displacement and swapping for bigger motors, I like the idea of DECREASING engine size for lighter, yet more powerful powerplants from 125cc bikes then modifying them to suit the needs of a quad. Ideally, I'd like to see a magnesium 150cc block with high compression and porting. Very lightweight and high power. I'm actually quite shocked more manufacturers haven't made the move to lightening ATV/bike engines more. There is a lot of potential to be had in doing so.

A 150lb ATV? Maybe a strictly drag atv with no suspension and made with titanium and carbon fiber. A 125cc two stroke is sluggish, no low end power and little mid range.

A 150lb ATV? Maybe a strictly drag atv with no suspension and made with titanium and carbon fiber. A 125cc two stroke is sluggish, no low end power and little mid range.

There are numerous 125cc bikes like the KTM 125 with mods that make 50hp with a lot of work mind you. The biggest setback is torque obviously.....but bore up slightly to 150cc and increase the compression and you can compensate some for that lack of torque and you still have 50hp on tap. With a magnesium block, carbon fiber frame, axle, A-arms, etc....a 150lb ATV is actually quite easy. The only thing of significant weight would be the lighter 125cc engine and the tires. Carbon fiber ROUGHLY weighs about 25% the weight of the traditional steel you see in ATV frames and parts. Replace case covers, axles, frames, etc....that adds up to a LOT of weight savings. For other bits where CF might not be applicable, magnesium and titanium are alternatives.

a carbon fibre frame would shatter when it finally had enough abuse , not just bend like a aluminum or chromoly frame . Carbon fibre has massive tensile strength , but is brittle and of course , its unrepairable. a magnesium case would be terribly expensive and titanium makes magnesium look like pig iron in price comparison . Plus titanium is so damn hard just machining it makes it cost prohibitive .

There are numerous 125cc bikes like the KTM 125 with mods that make 50hp with a lot of work mind you. The biggest setback is torque obviously.....but bore up slightly to 150cc and increase the compression and you can compensate some for that lack of torque and you still have 50hp on tap. With a magnesium block, carbon fiber frame, axle, A-arms, etc....a 150lb ATV is actually quite easy. The only thing of significant weight would be the lighter 125cc engine and the tires. Carbon fiber ROUGHLY weighs about 25% the weight of the traditional steel you see in ATV frames and parts. Replace case covers, axles, frames, etc....that adds up to a LOT of weight savings. For other bits where CF might not be applicable, magnesium and titanium are alternatives.

I know a 125cc can make 50hp with a lot of work. It's all top end power just like a Supra. The quad you're suggesting would cost more than a lot of the cars on the road today.

Carbon fiber is like glass, bends very little and breaks.

i say the future of quads will be aluminum and titanium chassis. aluminum and mag engines. all will be EFI.