Tattoo Discrimination

Rashid1739

Apr 9, 2012
Fond du Lac, WI
Hey everyone, I've been thinking a lot about employers discriminating people with tattoos. Do you guys think it's right that people can be shut out of jobs due to tattoos? Now I'm personally pro tattoo. I believe I have 17 up and down my arms. Now I can understand someone getting turned down for a racial, or offensive tattoos, but as long as it's not either of those I feel like it should be illegal to discriminate. I believe some day it will be illegal to discriminate agains tattoos. Don't we live in America? The land of the free? What do you guys think? Honest opinions, but I want something to back your opinion up.

Don't we live in America? The land of the free? What do you guys think? Honest opinions, but I want something to back your opinion up.

why yes, we do live in the land of the free,
in my opinion, (you ask for it)
that includes any business owners land of the free right to employ whoever they want to represent them as an employee.

i've seen 2 girls at a convenince store and dollar general here with a bandaid/wristband covering small tasteful tattoos on their wrist/hand area. it is company policy to not have visible tats, and again IMO, their right to set their companies employee policy.

i'm not against tats, but do believe in business owners rights to employ whoever they feel is right for their company and the position.
be it race, religion, tats, handicaps, IQ, whatever, it is their business, not the goverments or civil rights groups, and for anyone to tell them who they HAVE TO employ is communist.

whats next ?
telling a tree trimming business they have to employ a girl in a wheelchair to cut down trees ?
or maybe a double arm amputee as an auto mechanic ?.................
ah, mr. rashid, he'll have your cars oil changed sometime next month, ride the bus until then :)

X-2 that the govt is into everyones business to much.

To avoid descrimination suites all the business would have to do is say you are over/under qualified or even say they decided not to fill the posistion at this time.

It's all about image ! Businesses work hard at developing it and keeping it. Should have thought about this before you got visable tats.

Reactions: blasterdemon7
X3 on that all the people out there complaining about things other people are doin, lawsuits, discrimination, and political correctness are whats taking our freedom away. Its impossible for everybody to have freedom to do whatever they want and still have everybody happy. In some cases your right, having tats shouldn't matter but some jobs it does matter, and no matter what theres always somebody that's gonna complain

I'm not ANTI but surely you had to consider the possibility of losing oppurtunity cause of tats. To pretend nobody looks down on them would be crazy. Only reason I don't have any. On the other hand some businesses might miss out on productive polite employees due to their " discrimination". I've worked with an innocent looking granny who was ROTTEN TOXIC NASTY.

Im not saying you are dumb or stupid in any way here.

But a lot of people covered in tattoos and piercings are. Definitely not the brightest in the bunch.

Would a diesel mechanic shop hire someone qualified to do your taxes? highly doubt it

This is why I work for myself, and whenever I appear in court I wear a long sleeve shirt with a collar.. We live in a diff world now and I see allot of things now that I haven't seen before.. One of my attorneys has plenty of tattoos,, you would never know it though.. It is a free country and if a business wants to represent there business in a certain way by not hiring pple with tats that is there choice..

I could care less if your tattoo'ed or not. As long as you work, try to be a productive member of society, I could give 2 sh*ts less with you look like.

Then again, I'm one of the small percentage of people that think that way. Our society has turned into a stereotyping, labeling, and hypocritical mess. People are quick to judge, and are usually the ones who cry foul when someone judges them. Activists, and special interest groups are killing our country. Those bums need to get real jobs, and stop pushing absurd ideas into people heads just to justify their own "causes". half of them don't even believe what they are fighting for.....they got a job out of college thats better than counting beans, and now have a steady paycheck...... SAVE THE GREEN HORN FROG"S MATING GROUNDS!!!!

Sorry about my rant...I know your talking about tatoo's, But its all relevent!

I personally don't see the point of tattoos,but that's my own opinion. If they are done tastefully I'm ok with it. Nothing on the neck or face.
As related to a business owners choice in who he or she chooses to hire. Well that is their choice in who they believe represents their company the best.
I also believe Tatoos are just a Fad that will only last a short time.
But we live in the greatest country in the world. Which allows us to be who we want to be.

At the age of 14 I got a small Tattoo on my forearm, it was fine line with 2 colours.

After 55 years it now resembles a black smudge which everyone asks "what is that".

There were certain avenues of employment which I could not apply for unless I kept my sleeves rolled down.

The rights of a person who wishes to have tattoos must be respected.

The rights of a person who refuses to employ a person with a tattoo must similarly be respected.

It was explained to me many years ago, that a bare uninked arm should offend no one, but one with a Tattoo may offend someone, and that is not in my employers best interests.

I am not sorry that I got a small tat, but if I could revisit 1957, would I choose to have one done, possibly not.

A fad? No I don't think so. this is something that has been around for thousands of years and today is more popular than ever. You can thank some of the insanely talented artist out there and the technology that makes it all possible with the strong and smooth powered machines and all the new inks that are super bright and stay that way for many years. oh fun face, something like 34 outta 43 presidents have had a tattoo.

Yeah maybe fad wasn't the correct choice of wording. What I meant was. Only in the last say 15 years or so has it become main stream. I believe as time goes on it will again fade into the background.
I do see circumstances that disturb me. I was behind a gentleman in line at a local market. The other day.
He coverage in several Tatoos that were very detailed large covering a fair amount what skin I could see. I can only imagine how much such skin art would cost. He had a few items in his cart such as milk bread cereal and a few other items. After the cashier rang up his items he proceeded to use an EBT card to pay. I have to tell you I was seriously pissed about that. If he can afford hundreds of $ in Tats. He can certainly afford to buy his own food.
I apologize for rambling, but I do have my opinion .

I have a few tattoos soon to have a full sleeve, and i am going into engineering as my major. What i plan to do because i have a love for tattoos and i know how people look at it. is to just wear a long sleeve and pants to cover them up at work. The reason why employers look at you different when you have visiable tattoos is because they know the consumer is going to be looking at you in a different aspect. Some people would look at your tattoos as a good thing but the majority of business sense people believe you should be more clean cut and calculated and having tattoos ruin that "image" they want you to appear as. But thats why you gotta love long sleeves nothing better to cover them up and get out of work rip off the long sleeve and drive with a tanktop on to embrace your tattoos. Theres a time and place for a tattoo but a tattoos permanent remember that.

I think someone can have one... anywhere they like ,as long as it cant be seen. Why ? Because most people get them to remind them of something. The reminder is only known to them and might look bad or weird to others.

I work as a volunteer in a charity food distribution centre.

Recently a customer sporting a large tattoo, that new it still had the plastic wrap covering it.

He was wanting a charity donation of food to feed himself self and his family, one reason that I see why people with Tatts attract discrimination.

Maybe the tat was done for free and that he was completely innocent of rorting the system, but it did promote a lot of discussion within the ranks of staff and other customers.

Reactions: Herpderplol
My gf volunteers at a local food pantry. Some that go there need the help.most drive newer cars than both of us ,smoke name brand cigarettes and can afford a lovely array of tattoos and piercings. This sh*t is getting out of hand! If you choose to be a lazy sack you should get enough to just get by. These people will NEVER try to accomplish anything if they just keep getting more more more . Ok I'm done