swingarm length?

wicked6

Nov 3, 2010
se WI
Hey guys, I know this subject is pretty beaten up already but I searched around an could not find what I was looking for. I 90% trail ride and recently changed the rears to 22s. What length should I go with when I extend my swingarm? I am up in the air with 2,3 or 4". Like I said it is mostly trail riding that I do. Is there a disadvantage to going longer? Also what would be the right gearing for trails and 22s? This will be my winter project so I have time for all your experienced feedback. Thanks guys.

For mostly tight trails, +2 should be good. I run a plus 3 but I read that awk changed his to a plus 2 and he rides alot of trails.

The longer the swinger means you will have a harder time with pulling the front end up and will most likly cause in wheel spin. Wheel spin is nice sometimes but pulling the front end up in a snap is also nice. The thing is which one would you prefer? Or could find maybe a happy medium +2 like awk. I ride trails with lots of hills and am gonna get a +4

If you keep the motor mild go +2 and if you stroke it and port it go +4 and you will thank me for that advise. Some of these engine builders around here are makeing huge power increases with great port work and you will need +4 to keep it under control in powerband . It all depends on your engine mods because it will pop up real easy @+4 with good engine work. I seen many riders end up on there backs from to many mods and not enough swinger (those riders know who they are ), you make that choice because it handles damn near the same in my opinion.

blasters are so damn tiny stock they turn fine with a +4, its not like a banshee where they dont turn for crap from the start. i run a +4 on my trail snail and love it, i can still ride a wheelie for 50ft with the big swinger on it. were talking about a whopping 2 inches longer here and they dont look so childish when the swinger is longer, if your going to spend the money go big the first time around

its all personal prefrence but for me +4 for trails

i have both, a +4 on my sons, mild port cleanup, and all the external goodies
and went with a +2 on mine, KOR basic trail port, all the goodies too,
i'd rather ride my bike anyday, +4 may be ok on smooth, groomed, sand, southern trails, but you need to be able to pull the front end on command, in all the gears here where i ride, rocks, logs, puddles everywhere, and even pulling it up a few inches in 5th or 6th gear at speed, to skip over sumthin, instead of slowing down for it, makes a huge difference in who gets there first

just my .02 for my trails here, since i have both +2 and +4

but....my mind may change when i have ken go all out this winter

I'd also like to suggest a +2 for trails, as did everyone else. I personally don't have any experience with an extended swingarm, but I know the proper sizes for swingarms must correspond with engine. As others said, a stock engine, maybe bored, redisigned head, upgraded exhaust and maybe even a mild port job, a +2 is perfect for trails. I'm going with a Bored .010 cylinder, Toomey Exhaust, and a redisigned head on my blaster for pretty much ALL trail riding. It will be best for lifting the front end on command but also gives the quad a SLIGHT harder time lifting it up, but It will be barely noticable.

I'd deffinately go to a +2

Thanks fellas! All your feedback is well appreciated. I have found the hook-up for an aftermarket +3 swinger. (Thanks little3mil) So +3 it is guys. My blaster is .050 over with full Fmf exhaust. Seems to be pretty decent on power.

Thanks fellas! All your feedback is well appreciated. I have found the hook-up for an aftermarket +3 swinger. (Thanks little3mil) So +3 it is guys. My blaster is .050 over with full Fmf exhaust. Seems to be pretty decent on power.

james sure is doing his best to recommend any other swinger besides ken's
every way he can, why not just post it in the thread, you have every other time ?????

when in fact them ebay swingers are garbage and known to bust,
you get what you pay for
i wouldnt coast down my street on one
sure they're guarenteed..... to break, and having that happen while your riding it isnt in my gameplan

Thanks to your comment Awk.I looked further into it and yeah , not a good product. I passed on the deal. I was going to get it for half the price from a guy parting out on another forum.

james sure is doing his best to recommend any other swinger besides ken's
every way he can, why not just post it in the thread, you have every other time ?????

hey yb200... wait i mean awk, what the hell makes you think this has anything to do with Ken oconner?

i have no problem with him, i already settled that on the track

was simply trying to help two people out :)

hey yb200... wait i mean awk, what the hell makes you think this has anything to do with Ken oconner?

i have no problem with him, i already settled that on the track

was simply trying to help two people out :)

hey sheeblast....i mean james
helping them out by suggesting them junk ass, dangerous, ebay swingers ????
any particular reason you promote them so much ???
and i've seen you post that kens are overpriced and overbuilt
i'll dig up the posts if needed

bring your ebay swinger up here, you'll get to test out it's guarantee
just as freek did runnin with me all day

as for the "settled it on the track"
congrats again on a great win, i expected that outcome
but your unlimited budget, and veteren alky tuning help
only beat your 2 closest competitors by a few thousandths
money wins everytime
personally i was more impressed with taters borrowed carb/tires
and rush alky tuning, and ians bike with no lockout clutch and kens first drag build, versus floteks numerous years doing these, did as well as they did against yours on far less budget

k4a0cm.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks guys for all your input. I still think my blaster will stretch it's legs 3" this winter. I , in no way meant to get anyone's whitey tighties all bunched up. I have only had my blaster for a year now. I am learning alot here. Thanks