Stuck sprocket hub

C-H55Blasty

Nov 24, 2014
Was already tearing everything apart in the rear end and there the axle bearing had a tab bit of play so I figured I'd take care of that too while everything was apart.
But I absolutely cannot get the sprocket hub off. Soaked in penetrating oil, heat, and a BFH and hasn't even budged.

I put a rubber cover on the end before I hammer on it.
IMG_20150817_135645960.jpg

If the hub is this bad I'm concerned about how bad the inside's going to be (if I can get it off). Obviously the last person who took it off didn't know what grease was.
Any suggestions or am I just that screwed?

Might have it figured out. Made up a platform so it could be put in the 12 ton shop press. Put a little pressure on it, heat it up, and then hammer on the side with an air chisel and it ever so slowly comes loose. At this rate it'll take a while to get out. Hopefully the axle splines aren't ruined, but I'll probably replace the hub anyway because it'll probably be slightly bent with all this hammering.

I went through the the effort of pb blaster, heat, and a press, in the end, the arms that the sprocket bolt to all got bent. So I had to get a new hub. When I started rebuilding the rear axle on the Banshee my wife bought me, I just cut the hub off to start with. After I got it off and inspected everything, there was no hope of removing it without damaging something. My though was there is less chance of damaging the axle by cutting than pressing or hammering.

I knew it was going to be a pain, but I wasn't expecting it to be this bad! I've got it most of the way off now so I'll keep going. Will have to make sure some anti-seize gets put on next time. I'd rather not do this again or have to cut it off lol