still screaming

shenron9208

Aug 29, 2010
so i posted a few times on my 99 blaster.my problem is i kick the bike over and it starts racing and wont stop til i shut off.i have tried leak down test and cant get a good seal.where the reed cage meets the head there is a gasket but there seems to be a gasket missing between reed cage and rubber boot because im getting air bubbles there.and also the exhaust piece that bolts to head doesnt have a loop for spring to connect to should it. i bought bike second hand.it ran fine til last weekend and has been screaming ever since. i really dont have the cash to take to shop so if u guys can help that would be great.

also forgot today started bike with choke on and ran ok for a minute the started racing again.not sure that helps

you need to get some high temp rtv sealant to seal up the reed cage leaks. then check for more leaks after you fix that one. some people drill a small hole in one of the cooling fins to hook a spring to

It is racing like that because you have a massive airleak. if you keep running it like that it will burn up the piston. then you will be really screwed

You could have a problem with the slide being in incorrectly if you pulled the carb cap off. Look down the throat of the carburetor and make sure that the slide is nearly closed and only about 1/16" open at the very bottom of the throat.

is there supposed to be two paper gaskets on stock reeds or just one between the head and reed cage.so there isnt supposed to be a loop on the coupler piece for the exhaust.

they only put one because there is a rubber piece that seals the other part. but most people here use two gaskets because blasters are prone to air leaks there. order oem gaskets from bikebandit.com or someplace like that. those paper ones kinda suck. and use some sort of hi temp sealant along with the gaskets

also i built a leak down tester to do the test but cant find the rubber plug to block off the exhaust the right way any idea where i might find.

I found mine at discout auto. they had a bunch of expantion plugs. or you can use you exhaust piece that bolts on to the jug with a piece of rubber clamped inbetween it when you bolt it on. only put 7psi in there or you could blow the seals out. use a bicycle pump not a compressor

the yamaha gaskets for the reeds are paper.i have new ones from local cycle shop.so i should use one on each side with copper sealant.