Started my DIY +4 swingarm today

doc_speeder

Feb 14, 2009
Lethbridge AB
I got as far as cutting the swingarm. When I'm all done I'll put up some pics. I've got a YFZ450 shock, and I think I've got a decent lower shock mount figured out.

I'll likely have time to post some progress pics tomorrow. I was away most of the last week. It's coming along nicely. I have a couple fish plates to weld on the sides, and finish mounting the lower shock mount. I'm pretty pleased with it so far. I'm trying my best to make it so it doesn't stand out as a DIY (at least at a quick look)! I've seen some DIY extended swingers that are pretty OOOGLY IMO.

Here's some progress pics.
IMG_3269.jpg

IMG_3270.jpg

IMG_3272.jpg

IMG_3273.jpg

IMG_3275.jpg

IMG_3280.jpg

IMG_3281.jpg

Lots to do yet. Hopefully finish it up this weekend.

Looks good man nice work...But this isnt much of a DIY. If you could go into some detail on how you did this. Like list the metal you used and the thickness and stuff like that. Im sure that would help us all out a good bit.

Looks good man nice work...But this isnt much of a DIY. If you could go into some detail on how you did this. Like list the metal you used and the thickness and stuff like that. Im sure that would help us all out a good bit.

pretty sure by DIY he's just talkin about doing it himself, not as a diy helper or whatever.

looks good. just make sure shes beastly lol.

When I'm done, I'll go through a little bit more detail. One interesting tidbit is that the pin from the stock LOWER shock mount fits the TOP eye of the YFZ shock...

do you plan on making a new shock mount?
are you gonan leave the old one in place and just trim off the tabs?
im still waiting for my swinger in the mail and im gonna fab something up, but +3

Very clean work. You run it with gas? if so what kind/mix?

That's a vague q.
what you should of actually asked is what amp/wire speed setting he used and if it was 110/220 wire feed welder or tig. gas doesn't matter if it's a appropriate gas for welding ex. argon. and gas mix just depends on what you can get by with using depending on what environment your in and cleanliness of material being welded.

That's a vague q.
what you should of actually asked is what amp/wire speed setting he used and if it was 110/220 wire feed welder or tig. gas doesn't matter if it's a appropriate gas for welding ex. argon. and gas mix just depends on what you can get by with using depending on what environment your in and cleanliness of material being welded.

No, a vague question would be one that could have several answers depending how the question was interpereted. He asked if I used gas, and what type. I understood the question perfectly. No, I didn't use gas. Perhaps he didn't ask the question you wanted, but it was in no way vague. BTW, I am not a welder, and this is not a welding forum...

Well it's pretty much done, mounted up etc. Chain is on, new brake line on. YFZ shock is pooched though. No oil in it.

Most of the riding I do is in the mountains on "trails". Lots of it is just open country thrashing, but its more like trail than track. I play on the local track a bit, but not too crazy.

Here's some pics.

IMG_3300.jpg

IMG_3302.jpg

IMG_3301.jpg

Anybody know the fill/recharge procedure for the shock?