Sport Quad of The Year

lbwd

Apr 1, 2007
Missouri
If you're interested in checking up on the sport quad of the year and other ATV-related news, check out ATV Magazine Online. If you watch the video on the front page, you'll see the three finalists for ATV of The Year.

http://www.atvmagonline.com/

Go figure, 3 of the most expensive quads out there are going for ATV of the year. The kaw 450's have nothing but problems. The renagade is like 11 grand... Enough said. The 525 seems cool but im sure it wont be/isnt cheap either.

These types of things are never based on reliability or cost-effectiveness. When you look at every other product being sold on the market, you realize that. This is obviously produced to be impressive and maybe grab the attention of a quad fanatic who wants to spend all of his hard earned cash on a cool looking quad that won the title 'Sport Quad of The Year'.

The kawis are already having problems? Geez, they've been out how long, like a month or 2?

In my opinion those renegade things aren't even a sport quad. I wouldn't mind having an outlaw 525 though, it seems like you get a lot for your money with them.

What would you guys nominate for sport quad of the year?

The 525 has my vote. It stands out more than the others as a high performance machine that doesn't just blend in with the rest of the stuff on the market. Seems that they fixed all the quirks and shortcomings of the old 500 outlaw, except polaris STILL hasn't figured out how to make a seat that latches and stays latched. How hard could that really be? I think polaris is the only manufacturer to manage screwing this up at all, much less for multiple years, on multiple machines. Even suzuki hasn't figured out how to screw that up yet lol.

Last edited:
The 525 has my vote. It stands out more than the others as a high performance machine that doesn't just blend in with the rest of the stuff on the market. Seems that they fixed all the quirks and shortcomings of the old 500 outlaw, except polaris STILL hasn't figured out how to make a seat that latches and stays latched. How hard could that really be? I think polaris is the only manufacturer to manage screwing this up at all, much less for multiple years, on multiple machines. Even suzuki hasn't figured out how to screw that up yet lol.

My dad has had multiple Polaris quads over the years and never had a problem with that.

325 Magnum
400L
400 Sportsman
... (a few others in between)
800 Twin

the kawi has gearbox issues, i also heard about the belts slipping.
the outlaw has independent rear suspension which is not good, i have heard bout some thing to do with a axle or something i am aware of the faulty seat latch

this is only my opinion i would rather buy yfz and run with my money.

That's what I was getting at. Polaris never messed this up before, then all of a sudden they screw up something simple like that, can't even get a seat to stay down, pfft.

I don't look at the IRS on the outlaw as a bad thing at all. That's the only selling point on it for me at all. Other than the outlaw, the raptor 700 is at the top of my list. MX bikes just aren't designed for the kind of riding I do.

I love the look and concept of the renegade, but hate the huge price tag and the fact that it weights nearly more than most utility quads.

For my money, I would invest in a Wolverine 450 4x4 for a sport/utility quad. they weight about half, and a 450 would have plenty of ghusto for me, and oh, with less than half the price tag :) If I buy a new quad, this will be it

The renegade isn't a sport quad. What about it fits into the category of sport quad? It's fast. That's it. So are all the other big bore 4x4's, but we call those utility...? The cornering sucks, it's an automatic, if you roll it you need 15 body builders to flip it back over, and they're unstable. It's simply an outlander with different plastics, it's still a utility quad. Until somebody designs a 4x4 from the ground up that has all the characteristics of a real sport quad (let's try to keep it under 500 lbs for cryin out loud) i'm standing with the old wolverine 350's as still being the closest thing to a 4x4 sport quad.

Last edited:
It only looks like it. It's an automatic, and it's slower than the original wolverines. Plus with the originals, the engine internals are the same as the warrior, so you can build them to make some massive horsepower.

True. The auto-tragic is a big let down for some, but ive driven one, and let me tell, for an auto, that thing is power on demand.

I wonder what engine the 450 is based off from? I'm sure its similar to the big bear. There has to be some hop up available.

Dont get me wrong on the old wolvernies, its by far one of my favorite quads ever made. Ive been looking for one for some time now, and when the right one comes along it will be mine. There is ALWAYS room in my garage for a first gen Wolverine.