Spider Grips

Braaaptor

Dec 1, 2009
Hamlet, NC
Disclaimer: I'm not an experienced ATV rider, so I'm no expert on grips. I bought my first quad after turning 18, due in part to the fact that my dad forbade me from owning an ATV or dirtbike while growing up. I guess he was afraid that I'd "get hurt". But that said, I've been a big fan of Spider grips ever since I tried a set on my old Warrior 350 a couple years ago. As seen here:

http://images.motorcycle-superstore.com/ProductImages/OG/0000-Spider-Grips-A3-Grips.jpg

Spider grips, like most, are available in many different colors, and you can get them in either MX (dirtbike) or ATV configurations. The grip surface on a Spider is textured all the way around, with rasied hexagonal projections serving as the cushion, set into a flexible rubber backing.

The grips are reasonably-priced (a set can be yours for about $ 12.00. Spider A3 Grips for ATV, Snowmobile, Watercraft - Black | eBay)

Installation can be a challenge if you've never had to change grips before, but an air compressor and blow gun make the job do-able by almost anybody. In my experience, Spider grips stay put once installed. They are thick enough that they don't requrie glue or clamps to stay in place on the 'bars. I've never had one slip or twist while riding.

As for the feel of the grip, everybody has their preference, but I like the firm, even texture. The grips give you a sense of confidence, and the thicker material makes it feel as though you have something to hold on to. The rubber is tacky enough to prevent your bare hands from sliding around (even when wet), but not so sticky that you feel as though there's residue clinging to your hands after a long ride.

So in short, since the price is right and you can find them in a color to match most any quad's color scheme, its hard to go wrong with a set of Spider grips. I will be buying a set for my current bobber project, too, as it slowly comes together.

Last edited by a moderator:
great write up braaapptor. That is exactly why i bought my quad.. but it took 14yrs for me to relize i could get one. lol I use spray contact cement. slides right on. but i also let mine sit for a week before riding.

ooookay..

just one question. how does the air compressor help you install them. ?

You take the compressor and a long-nozzle blow gun, and blast them on. Basically, you force the blow gun in between the rubber grip and the handlebar, and apply compressed air. The grip slides down the bar on a cushion of air until it has slid all the way down, into place. Simple, but effective.

Nice post , But I'm a Fan Of The Pro Taper Pillow Tops , My nephew has raced with those on his 85, 65mod, 65stock, and Both his Cobra 50jr and 50Sr , After I rode a Yzf 250 with them I Would have to give them my vote !

Nice post , But I'm a Fan Of The Pro Taper Pillow Tops , My nephew has raced with those on his 85, 65mod, 65stock, and Both his Cobra 50jr and 50Sr , After I rode a Yzf 250 with them I Would have to give them my vote !

Ah.... then you should also do a write up on those grips just to let people how good they are. this is a review